Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Bar Sign
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  00:39:14  Show Profile
Can someone help me identify this sigh. It is from the estate of a MG collector. The widow would like to sell it. But we do not know if the sigh has any real value. A friend of the MG collector brought the sign to the USA from Europe.
It is a painted sign on wood. 36"X24'
Thanks for any help
Gary

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  09:05:25  Show Profile
This is only my opinion but……..The modern telephone numbers on the sticker on the back might indicate the age of this item - why not try phoning the one in England?. The style is deliberately primitive and looks very much in keeping with many signs like this used for pub decor. The MG Owners Club by the way was formed in 1973. The sign is pretend 'old fashioned' and almost certainly not from the 1930's.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 08/10/2014 09:06:27
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  09:22:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

The MG Owners Club by the way was formed in 1973. The sign is pretend 'old fashioned' and almost certainly not from the 1930's.

I completely agree with Sam on this - there are a lot of these signs on eBay, and they are often seen decorating the walls in so-called "theme pubs"

Some eBay examples of similar ilk here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMITHWICKS-St-Francis-Abbey-Brewery-Hand-Painted-Wooden-Irish-Pub-Sign-/261526332179?pt=UK_Collectables_Advertising_ET&hash=item3ce42f2313

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIP-WRIGHTS-JOS-BISSILL-SONS-Hand-Painted-Nautical-Wooden-Pub-Sign-/221501690053?pt=UK_Collectables_Advertising_ET&hash=item33928790c5

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2014 :  12:18:16  Show Profile
Thanks for the response. I think you both are correct.

Gary
J2 3670 & D 0263
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000