Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Centre Hinge Pin Removal
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Abbott

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  20:34:24  Show Profile
In readiness for my NB's 8oth birthday next year (and my 50 years of ownership) I plan to strip some of the panels and repaint them. It would be easier if I could remove the centre hinge pin to make it easier for the painter to work on. However I can't remove the centre pin despite careful drifting and copious use of wd40. So my question is has anyone been successful in doing this or should I just do in one large chunk. It would be a disaster if I sheared an end off the rod.
Also does anyone have a modern reference for Peugot Bleu Rapsodie 1628
Paint suppliers look very blank when I quote it to them.
Thanks Guys.
Bill

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  02:59:41  Show Profile
Assuming you can drift the pin out a little, from there you can chuck the pin up in a drill and spin it while withdrawing the pin. Makes it easier to remove it while it's spinning.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  08:31:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Abbott

In readiness for my NB's 8oth birthday next year (and my 50 years of ownership) I plan to strip some of the panels and repaint them. It would be easier if I could remove the centre hinge pin to make it easier for the painter to work on. However I can't remove the centre pin despite careful drifting and copious use of wd40. So my question is has anyone been successful in doing this or should I just do in one large chunk. It would be a disaster if I sheared an end off the rod.
Also does anyone have a modern reference for Peugot Bleu Rapsodie 1628
Paint suppliers look very blank when I quote it to them.
Thanks Guys.
Bill

Carry on with the above and add some heat. They can be obstinate. Once you get enough of it sticking out you can get some Mole grips on it and add rotation.

Edited by - kimber on 06/12/2014 08:33:11
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  09:37:27  Show Profile
Hi Bill

Another tip is to rotate the panels around the pin whilst pulling on the pin, rotate is not quite the right word but move the panels whist pulling. Obviously a 2 man job!

Its possible that the hinge eyes have created steps in the pin, by moving the panels as suggested it may overcome this problem

Just done this on my P type and have replaced with a brass hinge pin.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  12:19:32  Show Profile
Hi Bill

50 years of ownership - fantastic!

Apart from all the good tips I have found the longer N bonnet can be a 2 man job. Apart from rotating the parts you need to make sure the weight is evenly distributed, for example holding the bonnet at each end could cause the centre to sag slightly and thus cause the pin to bind on the hinge.

I also had to rotate the pin with a small mole grip until enough protruded to use an electric drill as suggested by Lew.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Bob Walker

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  18:22:28  Show Profile
Greetings Bill I've found it easier on the nerves to work with the bonnet on an old mattress , one from the tip maybe ?!
Regards
Bob Walker.

RSW
Go to Top of Page

Bill Abbott

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  16:13:44  Show Profile
Gentlemen
Thanks for all your tips. I look forward to seeing many of you in the New seasons motoring activities.
Bob I'll try the old mattress routine you mention, which then might develop very quickly into a two person operation when Jacquie discovers I've got the bonnet on our bed!
A Happy Christmas to one and all.

Bill and Bonnet - A tale of two Halfs'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000