Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Seeking a picture
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob P2000

Netherlands
40 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  10:23:38  Show Profile
My MG PA, chassis nr. P 2000,body nr 2027, still has to live without any picture of its early life up to 1957, when it was registered in the Netherlands.
After delivery in July 1935 it was registered in the Blackpool area with nr.FV 6304. First owner a Mr G.F. Braithwaite.

With so many similar researches going on at the moment, I would like to draw the readers attention to my problem , which has now lasted for more than 55 years !

Rob Koch

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  10:51:02  Show Profile
Hi Rob, I can totally understand your frustration.

I was lucky enough to trace and meet the first owner of my car in 1985, when we met, I was hopeful of lots of photos, and there were indeed lots of photos taken - except that they were all 'lost' during the war.

Once I had internet (1999), I occasionally did a search for MG reg OJ5297, but always drew a blank, and resigned myself to the fact that there were no surviving photos of my car.

Three years ago by sheer accident, I absent-mindedly typed in the chassis number instead of the reg, and low and behold, up popped a photo of my car! That finding has now led me to meeting up with the son of the car's second owner, and further photos of the car when it was still less than two years old.

So don't give up.
My search for the 'lost' photos of the first owner continue.
There is always a chance of finding something, even if you are scouring old photographs of the streets where you know the car spent some of its life!

For years I too believed I would never find an early picture of my car. but eventually one did show up just when I least expected it.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Rob P2000

Netherlands
40 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  11:02:18  Show Profile
Thanks "Max" for your inspiration to remain optimistic about my search.
These desk- activities are as much a part of our hobby as driving or rebuilding our cars and could be very rewarding as well.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  14:37:19  Show Profile
Oh absolutely!

I cannot imagine ever owning a car like this without wanting to know as much as possible about it's history, the people that owned it, and where it might have been!

Photos say so much. It's just a pity the cars themselves can't speak!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  22:50:53  Show Profile
Just in the last two months I have been able to put three current owners of J2s in touch with the families of past owners of their cars.
Photographs have been exchanged and the past owning family members have been delighted to know their cars are still in existence.
All three of these previous J2 owners live within two miles of my home!

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  16:34:52  Show Profile
FV is indeed Blackpool and the records still exist at Preston - Lancashire Records Office, Bow Lane, Preston, PR1 2RE. Telephone 01772 263034.
May be worth a letter.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Rob P2000

Netherlands
40 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  17:15:35  Show Profile
Hello Mike,

I have been in touch with the Lancashire Records office and was informed by them that the complete list of prewar car- registration numbers is no longer part of their records- contents.
I realize I am now dependent on coincidence in the way that the more triple- M owners are aware of my curiosity, the better the chance of finding the history of P-2000 ( FV 6304).

Rob Koch
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  18:09:55  Show Profile
Have you tried the Kithead Trust? When the UK's vehicle records were computerised, a lot of the paper records were given to this historical charity:

http://www.kitheadtrust.org.uk/vehicle_records_5.html

If you know the original registration number and licensing authority, then it is relatively easy to establish whether they have anything relating to your car.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  18:45:20  Show Profile
Speaking of searching for the history of our cars, I recently received an email from Allan Bentley regarding the history of my two Triple-M cars. This is such an unbelievable coincidence that I was compelled to write an article for the next (not the current) Bulletin. Watch for the article "A Tale of Three Cars". And no, I will not spill the beans prematurely. But I will say that there are people in the Register who hold some distant memories of cars they once owned or knew. So keep up the search.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  22:45:22  Show Profile
Above all, keep on looking - even after many years of ownership, a recent Register reader kindly made an early picture available. (APP 186 on 'Looking for Information' thread.)

About half of my information on the PA has come from the build file and the Register, the remainder as a result of letters to previous owners and motor traders.

Sadly, none of APP 186's original papers seem to have survived past an ownership 1972 and I started with a very thin car file, now much thicker!

Bob.

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  07:54:15  Show Profile
I agree with Bob.

My PA (0743) had lost its original reg plate (MG3811) when I bought her in 1974 - so if anyone happens to have any pics of the car in that guise I too would be very grateful!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

panderson

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  15:18:35  Show Profile
I have owned PA1212 since 1972 and over the years attempted to learn anything of its history between 1935 (first owner A. Clinch) and when it entered the Triple M register as #285 in 1962, owner R. J. Mostyn. The car has its original registration plate BYF 537. Not hopeful but grateful for anyone who remembers something or has seen a photo.

Phil Anderson
USA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000