Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bulletin subscriptions
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2014 :  22:50:53  Show Profile

It has just been brought to my notice that some subscribers may not have received the last 2014 December issue of the Bulletin and in some cases may also have not received the Renewal form necessary for subscribing to the 2015 issues of the Bulletin.

If this applies please e-mail Paul White on mmmbulletin.sub@btinternet.com or by phone 01978 790652 as soon as possible so that he can rectify the situation and ensure that you receive the Bulletin in 2015.

May I also take this opportunity to request that all those wishing to subscribe and have not done so as yet, do so ASAP to ensure that we can advise the printers in good time of our needs for 2015. I would also remind you that in spite of increasing postal charges your Committee have agreed to hold the subscription rates as those enjoyed in 2014.

Many thanks

Bob Milton - Treasurer

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2014 :  19:42:09  Show Profile
No bulletin on the web since June?
RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2014 :  22:15:10  Show Profile
Hear hear Rod, which leads me to wonder why we don't have the Bulletin on the web at the same time that hard copy is published...

One of the early arguments about who sees For Sale items first no longer holds water because most people use the For Sale section of the Forum.

The majority of clubs and societies of which I am a member publish simultaneously, so why don't we?

Happy Christmas to our readers!
John R
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  07:36:26  Show Profile
Indeed, and why go to the expense of paper and postage when transmission by internet is marginally free.

Perhaps John James can add an insight based on his TTT2 experience.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  10:25:01  Show Profile
I started 'Totally T-Type 2' (TTT 2) in August 2010 and before that I produced 'Totally T-Type' from January 2004 to January 2010. The latter publication came to an abrupt halt when I was 'sacked' by the 'T' Register of the MGCC. I do not wish to rake over the coals but on reflection it's probably the best thing that happened to me as I value my independence I can write what I want without certain individuals looking over my shoulder and dissecting my every word.

TTT 2 goes out to nearly 3,400 'subscribers' worldwide who have registered to receive an e-mail to advise them that a new issue of TTT 2 is on my website www.ttypes.org The magazine is downloaded by about half of these 'subscribers'; the other half view the magazine on line by clicking on the individual articles which are arranged on the left hand side of the TTT 2 page. If you go to http://ttypes.org/ttt2 you will see what I mean.

There is no Internet subscription fee.

TTT 2 on the web costs me next to nothing. Web hosting cost me £500 a few years back and recently we had to buy a commercial e-mail (sending out) package because it was becoming so unwieldy sending out such a large quantity of e-mails.

I do produce some printed copies (I send out around 50 copies) but they are expensive to produce (high quality full colour magazine and small print run). The printed copies should be self funding but they are not. I ask for £25 for six issues and most subscribers pay more but it is still difficult to break even.

I have recently changed the printers and secured a useful saving, albeit I've had to marginally sacrifice print quality - mainly the covers - and I have also taken advantage of some commercial postage rates using a local mailing house. These two measures should ensure break even.

In some ways the printed copies are a bit of a 'nuisance' but I like to provide a service to those who do not have Internet facilities and those who have, but still like to have a printed copy.

The printed copies are normally received by the printed copy subscribers about 10 days behind the magazine being uploaded to the website.

I must add that I could not handle the Internet side of the magazine myself and I am most grateful to my son (an IT professional) who gives his time freely.

JOHN JAMES Editor 'Totally T-Type 2'

'Proud to be independent'
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  10:44:22  Show Profile
Re; Ians comment. This old chestnut has been raised before.
I like nothing better than to switch off the computer in the evening(eyes aching ) and sit in the armchair with a glass of wine and enjoy the latest Bulletin and other mags that arrived in the post.
Online mags are fine but how much nicer to pick up a mag and browse whenever you feel like it. ( IMHO )
Graham
( old fashioned cars, old fashioned ways )
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  11:07:04  Show Profile
This is an interesting thread and it highlights the fact that people have differing expectations relating to the Bulletin.

The Register Committee has looked many times at how best to support the continuation and development of the Bulletin. It is a very popular publication, now a full-colour booklet which is currently printed and mailed to around 400 readers. They pay an annual subscription to receive the Bulletin, which broadly covers the costs of printing and postage.

We are not blind to the fact that the world is increasingly a digital one – indeed the Bulletin itself is created digitally! However very many of our readers are not ‘connected’ and depend on receiving hard copy. Very many others ARE connected, but nevertheless, as Graham points out, prefer to have the Bulletin in printed form, as they like to have something they can pick up and read. Undoubtedly a beverage may help the process!

So you see our conundrum. We want to keep faith with those who, for whatever reason, wish to receive a printed Bulletin, which they pay for. We also recognise the appetite that exists for an instantaneously available electronic version.

Rightly or wrongly, the Committee’s current policy (discussed as recently as 3 weeks ago) is that the e-version available on the website shall always be one edition behind the latest printed version. The fact that June’s edition appears to be the latest visible edition is inexcusable and we will rectify the omission.

At some future time there may come a point when the demand for a printed format dwindles to a level that would make it unviable to continue, in which case we may become fully electronic. However we are not yet at that stage, although the Committee will be keeping tabs on the level of 2015 renewals which, as Bob says, are now due.

Ian suggests that we can learn from the TTT2 example, and he is of course correct, although there is one fundamental difference: John’s excellent TTT2 started from ground zero, whereas we have the legacy which I describe above. Oh dear! We just can’t please all the people all the time, try as we might!

Compliments of the season to all.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  11:46:39  Show Profile
Dear all
A very interesting thread, I can only add what one member in another club I belong to said on this subject.
Something like: Oh I like the printed version it is so difficult with a computor in a small cabinet where a printed version is ok.

Best wishes for the season and a happy motoring year

Sven
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  13:01:02  Show Profile
While I can see all the advantages of "online", I have to agree with Graham.

I bought my wife a Kindle and now envy her the fact that, with no packing problems, she will never run out of holiday reading matter. I cannot however bring myself to forego the pleasure of picking up a book and reading it.

Happy Christmas to all my readers.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  14:02:39  Show Profile
Surely it is not beyond the capability of those who can manage the mechanics and vagaries an MMM car to print out the pages of interest to them, and read at leisure. Then file and keep for future reference.

For those with a very poor download speed and/or without a computer can, like TTT2 subscribers, opt to receive a printed version, at cost.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  15:07:03  Show Profile
You can't beat a neatly produced bulletin, that is of the same format time after time, and sitting on your bookshelf.
By "neat" I also mean neat as our American bretheren would use the term.
Printing out a few pages now and again can never replace a volume.
As long as the demand for printed copies does not become financially burdensome on the Register, keep up with the good work.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  15:24:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sven

Dear all
Oh I like the printed version it is so difficult with a computor in a small cabinet where a printed version is ok.

Sven

I assume, Sven, that the small cabinet means the smallest room in the house, where I for one find it very difficult to keep a laptop on my lap!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  16:25:07  Show Profile
Dick and others,

If you read my original posting, all I was asking is "why can't the Bulletin appear on the website simultaneously with the printing of hard copy?" I was not suggesting abandoning hard copy - indeed long may it continue, and I am a subscriber .

Like Graham and others I like to read hard copy, but I also use the search facility of the electronic version to find topics which I can then read in the armchair. In other words, for me the two versions are complementary.

So, my question remains - why cannot we have simultaneous publication, particularly when the Bulletin is created digitally and therefore can be added to the website with the minimum of effort?

John R
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2014 :  18:46:50  Show Profile

quote:
Originally posted by sven

Dear all
Oh I like the printed version it is so difficult with a computor in a small cabinet where a printed version is ok.

Sven

quote:

I assume, Sven, that the small cabinet means the smallest room in the house, where I for one find it very difficult to keep a laptop on my lap!

Regards,
Graham

YES Graham.

Sven
Written from my spacious desk.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  08:09:38  Show Profile
Following on from John Reid's suggestion (please John can you dig out your old photos of J3772 for me!) of simultaneous publication of the Bulletin on the web site and in print, AND if this idea is pursued through 2015, then the issue will resolve itself.

Those satisfied with the electronic and self printed version will not renew their subscription in December 2015, and those preferring to receive a pre-printed version will renew; result happiness all round.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  10:16:16  Show Profile
I doubt it, Ian. Fixed printing costs will make the hard copy uneconomic or too expensive once numbers drop below a certain level. I suspect this is the reason behind the one month delay. I personally prefer the relaxing read in the splendid isolation of the smallest room.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page