Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Engine rebuild advice please
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ian

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  23:06:22  Show Profile
I would really appreciate some advice. I have a dilemma in that my BV8 is dead and needs complete restoration whilst my late father's (Mike Hibberd) pa has been ignored for many years. I have funds available, but need to make a choice! The pa is complete with a marshall blower but needs a full engine rebuild. I have most parts, but not sure of crank status. The car was forevever blowing head gaskets when it was trialled and raced in the 80s, so this will need sorting. How much can i be expecting to pay for a fully sorted engine? Are there any favoured builders? Many thanks. PS any donations welcome!

Edited by - ian on 11/10/2006 23:09:47

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  15:17:37  Show Profile
Ian

I can highly recomend a professional racing spec rebuild at a very cost effective rate. Please email me direct at richardhardy@york100.wanadoo.co.uk It is not me by the way!!

Rich H
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  19:29:53  Show Profile
Ian,

This is an excellent topic which will hopefully get a good response. Based on recent actual expense, on quotations and generally talking to people I would estimate engine reconditioning costs to be :-

New crank, rods and big end shells ú2,000
Mains - white metal and split roller ú 300
Bores and pistons ú 500
Valves and seats ú 150
Cam, bearings and rockers ú 400
Studs, bolts and nuts ú 100
Oil pump ú 100
Gaskets ú 100
Vertical Torrington bearing ú 75
Helicoils and light machining ú 50
Conversion to lip seals ú 100

All together about ú4,000 but add in the carbs, dynamo, starter, clutch and you start to feel unwell. Add in a new block though and it's penury for thr next 10 years.

Good luck

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Bill Putnam

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  20:44:14  Show Profile
But Rich, how can one possibly live in anything but a state of grace and wealth with a well tuned MMM engine residing in their automobile? Money is but numbers and paper while motoring with a blown MMM is a delight to the senses.

Keep in mind that proper engine assembly with these engines is vital for their longevity and performance.

Ian, there is no choice to be made, rebuild the P type! Granted, people on the MMM list may be a bit biased but really, how can you compare a pre-war MMM to an American pushrod design :-)?

Bill "a bit biased" Putnam
Madison, WI USA
J3488

bputnam@cityofmadison.com
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2006 :  21:34:06  Show Profile
Jan T gives a good basic outline of the likely costs of parts involved although the crank and rods may be ok. Don't forget the costs involved in a proper engine assembly. The engine needs careful setting up for a good blown car. Bill is right though, a good blown car is a real delight!

Regard

Rich H
Go to Top of Page

ian

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2006 :  11:20:31  Show Profile
Thanks very much for this. I have contacted Richard for his recommendation. How do I tell if my crank is a "phoenix" one?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000