Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Faulty King Pin Sets Beware.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2015 :  21:51:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cymber

I have a modified reamer, made for me by my employer many years ago and which I used again on my more recent rebuild. It can be available loan to others for the cost of postage.

Maurice Blakey.

Maurice,

Any chance of a picture, so I can make one.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  09:08:09  Show Profile
Although not ideal, an ordinary single reamer will do the job. Proper kingpin reamers have two sets of cutters and are not adjustable but these are hard to find. I recently had to fit a slightly oversize kingpin (Hillman I think and metric) a standard reamer was too small so I used a single with a homemade extension to drive it all the way through. The 'body' of the reamer was long enough to stay in the top bush while the cutter went through the bottom.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  10:48:55  Show Profile
Here's 3 down it was not S&V or VMP, or Andy King.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  11:06:57  Show Profile
Aha - that's narrowed the field considerably!

Not too many left now.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  11:30:52  Show Profile
I am so relieved, I feel so satisfied that I have only sourced items from within this ' three ' or accepted advice and recommendations, again only from within this three.

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.

Edited by - MG Maverick on 27/02/2015 11:32:41
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  12:09:38  Show Profile
If someone has done the job recently and has made up an inline extention to a recently bought adjustable reamer and it has all worked well, info would be very helpful.
Because king pin renewal is rather more common requirement than we might like on a car in regular use I suspect many of us would like a bespoke tool in our tool boxes.
So a brand model,supplier and drawing of an extention guide to make such a tool would be a great help.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

cryrnr

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  12:33:19  Show Profile
Taylor & Jones (who make industrial quality reamers) offer piloting extensions to match their range of adjustable reamers for precisely this sort of job. I have some of these in larger sizes (used for Lagonda king pins) which have proved ideal. I assume there is also a size appropriate to MMM and was planning to investigate when I get to the point of doing this job on my P-type rebuild. I believe that Cromwell Tools stock these but there will undoubtedly be other suppliers on the web. In theory they are possibly not quite as good as a dedicated stepped reamer BUT in practice the adjustability (and availability but still expensive) makes them perhaps more attractive and, in skilled hands, offers the potential to get the clearances 'just right'. Neil
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  13:24:28  Show Profile
I've always bought my taps, dies & reamers etc. from Tracy Tools - excellent service.

http://www.tracytools.com/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  13:27:12  Show Profile
All great info - thanks all.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  18:27:57  Show Profile
Although I have been advised not to discuss trade matters on the General Forum, I feel I have a right of reply to the 'whacking Walker again' session taking place on this forum under 'faulty King pin set.' Clearly, if my reply is moderated (those of Mr. James & Mr. Hardy's are not of course) then this may not reach you; but once again the real facts are completely unknown and the opportunity has been taken again to 'have a go'at a trade source. I'm pleased to see that certain contributors have not sunk to the depths of James and Hardy and have used the occasion to discuss sensible advice over reamers and king pin fitting.
To put matters straight, we supplied a set of King Pins & bushes from our manufacturer of 25 yrs+ to Mr. Nigel Willey some 12 to 18months ago. I have dealt with Mr. Willey for over 3 years and supplied him with numerous parts for his L1.
Now.....Mr. Willey has always written to me by e-mail as NIGEL WILLEY--the last time being October 2014 when we discussed the perculiar thread used by Lucas on the stalks of the D43 dashlamps.
In early/mid Feb. of this year I was checking my junk e-mail (which I do probably only once a month) and I noticed an e-mail marked..."collector 1947". Not recognising this as the usual junk crap I opened it (could have been a virus?)and noted it was about King Pins and simply signed..'Nigel'. No address, no country, no phone, NO SURNAME.. Clearly this could be Nigel Anybody , I had never heard of 'Collector 1947'. I wrote back...'Nigel Who?' I never received a reply and natually I thought nothing more of it (but I had had a reply, unknown to me it had gone once again to the junk mail). Only when a MMM friend phoned me to say that a Nigel Willey was complaining on the Forum about King Pins, did I have any idea that the 'original Nigel' who had changed his e-mail to 'Collector 1947' was Nigel Willey. Had he e-mailed me in the first place in the format he had always done, or at least signed his e-mail with his surname---the problem, if there is one, would have been resolved at once without resorting to a forum that cannot wait to bash 'Barry Walker', yet turns to us for something when it cannot be found elsewhere.
Our individual sales records only go back 31 years, and in that time we have sold 186 King PIn sets----never a single complaint. If indeed a rogue set has got through I can only apologise to Mr. Willey, but it seems a shakey summisation as others now checked from that batch show no departure from the strict machined tolerances on the drawing.
I have sinced e-mailed Mr. Willey under his new e-mail....no problem.
Next time,I suggest Mr. James and Mr. Hardy collate the real facts before showing their petty jealousies of a very successful business in public.
I don't want to withdraw my sponsoship from MMM events, as I know there are many sensible enthusiasts out there that understand mistakes can be made, , but I am surprised that the heirachy of this forum allow such veiled criticism and malevolence towards a trade member, when nobody cared to check the facts. I do have a phone.
Yours, Bary Walker.
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  20:55:27  Show Profile
This issue has been resolved. A professional reply has been received from the supplier explaining why no reply was sent, and a credit/exchange for the faulty set offered.
Now too late.
The reason for this late reply was due to email problems.
I will not name this supplier, and anyone who thinks they know who I have been referring to is only assuming without any proof.

This topic is finished, unfortunately at my cost.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

Porker

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  20:58:01  Show Profile
This is the trouble with forums, sometimes people are far too quick to jump to conclusions and take a side. It could be very damaging to an individuals business when they have done nothing wrong, hopefully most people have enough sense to realise there are always 2 sides to every story and a forum is no place to be judge and jury. In todays world too many people are quick criticise when sitting behind their computer trip advisor etc ... as Barry has said " He still has a phone"
Why didn't you ring him if you had no response?

He's been trading forever! Why would he intentionally sell faulty parts.
I am fairly new on here and definitely dont wish to see this kind of slating again, if it carried on I certainly wouldn't want to be part of this group and would have no option but to leave the forum.

Rant over but please think before you post.

Kevin Priest

Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  21:03:47  Show Profile
There is a very good article in Issue 22 of my bi-monthly Internet based magazine 'Totally T-Type 2' (over 3,500 'subscribers' worldwide, no subscription charged, all done on a voluntary basis) on kingpins and fitting them. Unfortunately I don't have the skill to create the link but will get it done tomorrow.

I'd just like to say that I don't have a problem with any successful business, just as long as it is run with ethical standards.

JOHN JAMES www.ttypes.org

'Proud to be independent'
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  21:33:55  Show Profile
As I have said many times in the past, this Forum is an inappropriate place for people to ventilate issues in which they are personally involved. It is always better for such matters to be dealt with on a 1:1 basis. I don't mean by this that we should gag free speech, but please let's try to do things the proper way.

It's evident that in this instance the complainant may have thought he had laid his complaint before Barry, but we need to keep in mind that e-mail is often an unreliable medium and for whatever reason messages don't always make it through.

Incidentally e-comms is also a pretty corrosive medium too, as this Forum could so easily become if people don't act with suitable forethought and perhaps that old fashioned thing - decorum.

With that in mind could I suggest that if anyone is minded to to pitch in with overt or thinly-veiled insinuations, or to seek to score a point from which they may perhaps hope to benefit in some way or other relative to so someone else - PLEASE resist the temptation!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 27/02/2015 21:36:09
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2015 :  23:31:40  Show Profile
Mr Walker, you have not read my post correctly. There are no factual inaccuracies on my part, you will note.

Can I respectfully suggest you read posts carefully before responding as you have made some factually incorrect statements yourself in your own post.

On this occasion, nobody actually knew who had supplied this part apart from your customer, it could have been the MMM kingpin manufacturers Amsteer for all people knew.

Richard Hardy

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000