Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Registration number retrieval
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2015 :  18:10:51  Show Profile
I am sure this subject has been aired before , but I cannot remember seeing it recently. May I ask for the help of members who can recognize just where a vehicle was first registered and if possible identify the make to which that registration number pertains ? The reason for asking is as follows : I have acquired a project ( another ! ) which came with no paperwork at all , and whilst it is not MMM it is a marque closely allied . The vendor has now come up with a registration number of CGY 331 and a date of 1935. It would be really helpful if this is the original number for my car and may prevent my having to re-register , with all the hassle that would be involved . So can anyone tell me the way forward ?

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2015 :  18:28:35  Show Profile
I have never tried it but the Kithead Trust has been mentioned with regards to finding out information about a Registration number.

I guess your new project must be either a Riley or Wolseley?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2015 :  20:06:37  Show Profile
Fred, http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf was pointed to in a previous post, but it doesn't seem to work any more!

My little experience with this as registrar tells me that you need some documentation that is associated with the car from before about 1983, and proof of its veracity (i.e. correct model for period, proof of actual identity). The club associated with that car should be able to help you...if there is one!

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 26/03/2015 20:20:10
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2015 :  21:09:27  Show Profile
Many thanks for those replies. Unfortunately the club associated with this car is unable to help , it being a very small association ( so neither a Riley or Wolseley ! ) so I will try the Kithead Trust , and , failing that , just state that number when applying for a Registration Document once I have had the car MOT'd . DVLA can only say 'No' or I might be lucky !
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2015 :  22:16:00  Show Profile
As you may know the last two letters of the registration are the significant ones, and so "GY" are the letters and unfortunately there are London numbers and have been destroyed.
Either destroyed by Hitler's bombers or before being dispatched to Swansea!
So sorry to disappoint, but the Kithead Trust could be no help.
The make of car, with trialing or racing history may find the number!
Here's hopefully,

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2015 :  08:24:27  Show Profile
Try Contacting Michael Worthington-Williams of "The Automobile" Magazine, he has been very helpful regarding these matters in the past.

You never know you may end up in print!

Russ
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2015 :  14:42:27  Show Profile
I note the reference to "all the hassle involved" but with bona fide applications there is really no hassle.

The documentation required by DVLA to support age-related registration mark applications is necessary to substantiate genuine cases and is in the interests of us all to preserve the integrity of the system.

A very necessary requirement is a 'Dating certificate' from the Club authorised to process age-related applications and without this you should not be able obtain an age-related registration mark.

It looks to me from what has been said that a Q plate is the only option.

JOHN JAMES (DVLA representative for the MG Octagon Car Club).

Edited by - John James on 27/03/2015 14:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2015 :  17:37:22  Show Profile
Many thanks to all for your advice. A 'Q' plate is not an option . The car was registered in October 1935 and all the original components are with the car. The vehicle is a Hotchkiss 686 Grand Sport , and was apparently the display car at the 1936 Olympia Motor Show . So if anyone has photographs of that show ....!
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  00:06:57  Show Profile
A 'Q' plate is the last option for the easily defeated, or, perhaps, for TA /Q bitza owners.
The only good point is that French garages will print a plate in French script which looks quite convincing on a French car.

Presuming that no tax disc / RF.60 / Registration printout, as required by the DVLA, exists with the car, your first contact might be with www.club-hotchkiss. If the 'main components' ( a phrase which often means 'no body') are still extant, they will carry serial and type numbers which will be able to be used to identify the date and model.

Hopefully, Club Hotchkiss, or another French source, will have a factory list - Hotchkiss was in business in a biggish way - and thus the supposed date can be confirmed 'officially'. Google.fr might also be useful.

Research can be addictive.
Bob.

Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  07:34:31  Show Profile
Bob, many thanks for that . I am a member of the British Hotchkiss Society , who have been most helpful , and do have their own DVLA signatory . You are correct - no bodywork except scuttle and instruments , but engine number , gearbox number , axle number etc , but no chassis plate on the bulkhead . However , the chassis number IS known . My reason for this posting on the forum is that I know some members have done this search for MMMs , and someone might have popped up with a reply " I have looked into this , but that number was allocated to a Hotchkiss " ! I can but hope . I will also try the French Club Hotchkiss , but the British Hotchkiss Society have told me that they can be somewhat 'stand-offish '.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  10:25:02  Show Profile
Fred, If it is of any interest at all, I can tell you that CGY 199 was fitted to an NA (chassis number not known) and CGY 502 was fitted to KN0403.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  14:24:36  Show Profile
Colin , many thanks . Do you have a year and month for those registrations ?
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  23:17:55  Show Profile
All CGY numbers, according to the comprehensive lists which I use, appear to have been allocated in London in November 1935.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2015 :  10:53:49  Show Profile
Fred, No, I am sorry that I don't have any other details. They appear on a list of registration/chassis numbers given to me by Mike Hawke many years ago, and he compiled them from every source available to him - magazines, letters, photographs, personal inspections etc. etc. I would guess that they were both allocated when the cars were new in 1934 or 35. I wonder whether Mike Allison might be able help with the KN as he went through all of the chassis files at Abingdon in recent months.

Best wishes,

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2015 :  17:17:29  Show Profile
Colin, Bob , many thanks . I have got it all together now , with CGY 370 registered on 12/11/35 and CGY 502 on 14/11/35. So that's a good indication that my car would be about 10/11/35 , which ties in well with what the vendor told me . I now feel confident in approaching the DVLA signatory of the British Hotchkiss Society and through the efforts of subscribers to this forum , should be able to retrieve the number . Thank you all . Fred Boothby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000