Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 F-type prop shaft
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2015 :  12:13:37  Show Profile
It looks like I need another 6 holed prop shaft for my F1/F2.
I have a Hardy-Spicer measured compressed at 36 3/4", extended 38 1/8". However this appears too long by one inch and doesn't allow me to fit in situ even though thee gap between the ENV gearbox flange and the Diff is exactly 36 3/4", the same as it is compressed.
Does anyone have a good one an inch shorter?
My alternative is to have it shortened clearly. Do we also have a list of what length the prop shafts should be for the F's and perhaps other MMM's?
Any advice and or options available to me are very welcome before I make the decision to cut my existing one.

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)

tonym

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2015 :  16:36:24  Show Profile
Why go to the trouble and expense of having an old one shortened.
Get a new bespoke one made.
My new M one was made in about 5 days - about £90 + VAT
Dunning & Fairbank Ltd
propshafts.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2015 :  17:46:05  Show Profile
Hi Tony, I would be very interested to hear and perhaps see (photos?) of what you got for that as it sounds good to me. i.e. what parts where used at the ends, was it Spicers pieces or brand-new to fit the 6 hole set up?

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3681 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2015 :  18:12:26  Show Profile
Chris, I think Mike Dowley supplies adapter plates which are about half an inch thick allowing conversion from 4 bolt to 6 bolt fittings. Obviously you would need to have a shorter prop shaft to allow for the extra 1 inch of the two adapters. ...

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2015 :  15:22:52  Show Profile
Chris
Being, as I said in my post the shaft was for an M-type, the ends are four hole ones.
I went to see them with an example of what we had for the diff and rear of the gearbox. This was not a problem for them, they said.
All the parts provided by Dunning and Fairbank were brand new. I just said I wanted it fit a 36½" gap with those ends.

This is what I got.

Go to Top of Page

ja.mcnab

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2015 :  19:16:38  Show Profile
M type propshafts were 3 hole with fibre disks. I have a spare to sell if anyone needs one !
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  14:56:22  Show Profile
Alan
Quite correct.
But having had to install and remove many of the damn things during the years - always with great difficulty and much swearing !
A Hardy Spicer type propshaft is so much easier to install and remove.
I also have a box of 3 stud fabric couplings spare.
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  16:43:59  Show Profile
I have now successfully had my original shaft shortened by 1" and fits perfectly in. However ... I now have a problem trying to get the F-type prop-tunnel cover inserted as the ENV g/box and the rear seat adjusting bar prevents the tunnel sliding in!
So you F'ers ... do I need to remove the rear seat bar from the body to get it in?

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  17:20:38  Show Profile
No problem on the J...

Probably easier to remove the remote than the cross bar...

P
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  18:19:51  Show Profile
ah, not thought immediately ... but removing the remote from the box sounds a good idea Peter ... surprising isn't it, another pair of eyes gives you a different aspect every time.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000