Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Replacement Engine Numbers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3102 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2015 :  21:58:45  Show Profile
Please forgive me if this question has appeared before but if an owner needed to buy a replacement block on its own for his MG did the replacement carry an engine number or serial number of any kind? Was there a special indication that it was a replacement? Was there an MG logo?

Extract from M-type Parts List

Extract below from J-type Parts List

Has anyone spotted examples?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 21/06/2015 21:59:29

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  09:16:57  Show Profile
Sam, if the replacement was done by Abingdon the block would have been stamped with the original number with a 2/ prefix.

Having said that I know my block was replaced at the works in 1945, but it has no number - I have owned the car since 1968 so I think it is unlikely to have been replaced again.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3102 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  09:51:29  Show Profile
Thanks Graham.

I think you have covered everything.

I guess a block supplied to an engine repairer outside the factory was also unlikely to have a number unless it was applied retrospectively.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 22/06/2015 09:52:04
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  10:44:15  Show Profile
Would the same logic apply to chassis numbers? My father rebuilt a PA in 1940 registration number MG 3880 replacing the chassis along with various other front end parts, I have his list of parts that he purchased I believe direct from Abingdon. I have hoped for years to trace this car with no avail seems to have disappeared in the early 70s when we had a lead but it came to nothing. Another P type was owned at the same time by my father's best friend, reg no AJO 300, any sightings?

Richard
PA1733
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  11:19:58  Show Profile
I realise that this enquiry relates to historic stamping of replacement engines. However it may also be of interest to know that the Register has formal guidelines relating to the stamping of identification numbers on new replacement engine blocks. This information is contained within the listing guidelines which you can find on the "register your car" section of this website.

In summary:
6. REPLACEMENT ENGINES AND CYLINDER BLOCKS

For various reasons it may become necessary:
- to replace a car's original engine with another unit derived from another Triple-M car.
- to substitute an original cylinder block with a newly-manufactured replacement block.

Whenever these changes occur, the Register asks owners to ensure that details of the change are notified to the Registrar.
It is the Register's policy that whenever a newly-manufactured cylinder block is utilised, it should be stamped with an identifying number followed by the suffix "/2". The identifying number should be one that that is appropriate to that particular vehicle. If the new block is of the same type as that of the engine originally installed in that car at the time of manufacture, it will be in order to use the original engine's number. Alternatively if the new block replaces an engine that was not original to that car, it is permissible to use the number of the engine that is being replaced, in each case adding the suffix "/2" previously mentioned. The Registrar should be consulted in case of any uncertainty.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  17:01:22  Show Profile
In answer to Richard's enquiry - I am afraid the number AJO300 does not appear in the latest printed Register.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000