Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Prince Bira and Co
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2015 :  12:21:32  Show Profile
Dear All

I have been lent "The Twain Have Met" autobiography of Prince Chula who helped Prince Bira with his MGs and racing, Fidget gets a mention and the K3.

It seems Bira had set his heart on an MG Midget and started saving. Prince Chula bought him the Magna. The chapter "Batchelor" carries the bits of interest, page 194... it then goes on about Bira's racing career.

It does seem that he preferred ERAs.

Cheers

P

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2015 :  09:10:14  Show Profile
Chula wrote several books on Bira's pre war career - Wheels At Speed covers his MG career, before he stepped up to ERAs, though there may be a little overlap with his other books.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2015 :  09:51:05  Show Profile
Graham

thanks for this, I have just bought a copy off Abe Books!

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2015 :  10:46:48  Show Profile
Peter,

"Wheels at Speed" deals with Bira's efforts in 1935. You should now go back to Abe Books and get "Road Racing 1936" and "Road Star Hat Trick" which deals with the 1937 and 1938 seasons. Chula also wrote "Dick Seaman" which inevitably has a lot about K3011. All three books have many references to M.G. and the men from Abingdon who were so active on the racing scene in those years.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2015 :  15:50:55  Show Profile
Another good read is "The Prince and I" by Ceryl, Bira's wife.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2015 :  16:05:20  Show Profile
And just for completeness, 'Blue and Yellow', in which Chula records the 1939 and 1946 seasons, together with some details of their life during the war.

Plus of course Bira's own book, a slim volume of short anecdotal essays called 'Bits and Pieces'.

'The Twain have Met' is actually quite rare, although the fact that it concentrates less on the racing and more on Chula himself means copies are quite reasonably priced.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2015 :  18:30:15  Show Profile
Hello Richard.

As you may know David Weguelin of Motorfilms Quarterly still has a biographical DVD in progress on the life and times of Prince Bira
With interviews in Thailand recorded decades ago and not yet released - he probably needs a nudge to get it finished !

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2015 :  23:04:10  Show Profile
If it is of interest, the ex-Chula PB Airline Coupe which Chula bought from University Motors in September 1935, now is with a forum member in Texas, USA. This is pictured in "The Prince and I" along with Bira's ERA and K3 at Brooklands.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000