Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2 speedo cable and reduction box
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tristan

Singapore
19 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2015 :  15:48:09  Show Profile
Hi all. I have a standard J2 gearbox and a standard smiths 3 concentric ring speedo. I lack the cable and reduction box? In between. Speedy cables can do the cables if they know what type of ends to fit in to speedo and the gearbox, but i do not know the names of the fit. I am in singapore so have no local knowledge here either.

Even with cables, without the box i am stuffed i think?

Any ideas!?

Tristan

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2015 :  20:58:23  Show Profile
Tristan

As you have had no replies to your post,I will try to assist.My J2 has what I believe to be a standard gearbox (although a Wolseley casing)but appears to have the wrong speedometer gears and also a non-standard back axle ratio. The speedometer is the black combined speedometer/revcounter you describe. When I acquired the car over 10 years ago the speedometer was totally inaccurate and I approached a firm called Speedograph Richfield in Nottingham UK who gave me detailed instructions regarding measuring the wheel and tyre size,the speedometer cable revolutions over a given distance etc. Using this data they built me a speedometer cable incorporating a small correcting gearbox (about the size of a matchbox) in a position I specified in the cable. This corrected the speedometer and has been in the car for about 8 years. They even replaced the cable for free when it broke about 2 years ago. The box is bracketed to the scuttle for rigidity and the whole set-up is very accurate. Cost was approx £150 as I recall.

Now as far as I am aware a J2 does not have any reduction box as standard,merely a direct vertical cable run from gearbox to speedometer. I don't understand your post in this respectunless,like me,your speedometer is inaccurate. So you should really only need a replacement cable which should be readily available from our usual suppliers. It will obviously already have the correct ends fitted.

Hope this is helpful.

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000