Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 DVLA registration of restored cars
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  09:03:18  Show Profile
Meanwhile, we're still waiting for a report from the MGCC representative.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 02/10/2015 09:05:02
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  10:53:32  Show Profile
Simon,

It is my understanding that the MGCC were not invited to attend the meeting despite having requested to be present. I understand that many other clubs requests were also rejected.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  11:21:18  Show Profile
Thanks for the update, Peter. This doesn't say much for the credibility of the MGCC, does it? It would be interesting to see the list of which clubs were invited.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  11:45:04  Show Profile
Let's be thankful the VSCC were present
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  13:55:19  Show Profile
Not to mention the Vintage Hot Rod Association

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 02/10/2015 13:55:57
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  14:00:14  Show Profile
Neither the MG Octagon Car Club nor the 'T' Register of the MGCC were invited to attend, despite responding promptly to the original letter dated 19th August. This is unfortunate because between the two of us we have dealt with getting on for 100 age-related/reclaimed number/re-constructed classic applications over the past year.

Perhaps though it was a blessing in disguise since from a reading of the excellent VHRA report it was a bit of a 'damp squib'.

I noted the following extract from the report with disgust:
"No, they weren't going to give out contact details, so you're stuck with pressing keys on your phone."

If they hold another "event" I certainly won't be 'busting a gut' to attend.
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2015 :  14:56:22  Show Profile
Simon
The fact the MGCC was not present is not a reflection of the club's credibility. For reasons unknown the DVLA were, as John James demonstrates, very selective in who they actually allowed to attend.

So three of the biggest users of their systems, whilst accepting the invitation, were not in the end invited. Explain that!

The FBHVC is preparing a statement (the Chairman is a MGCC member) which was expected last week but as yet it has not yet been seen.

The Hot Rod people seem to sum it up "as nothing changes" the DVLA are just applying their own rules as intended.
Go to Top of Page

Hamish McNinch

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2015 :  12:20:12  Show Profile
All,

For what it is worth, I think the DVLA are doing their best to carry out their mandated function. I have nearly always found them helpful, particularly recently where they promptly replaced my few remaining 'old' V5s with new versions as a result of a single phone call and some questions about the details. My letters have always been answered promptly and helpfully, even if the answer I got was not what I was hoping for.

While I am not an advocate of lying down in the face of authority, I don't think it's constructive to criticise people you need to get on your side. The way I think about it is "what do I need to do to allow them to give me the answer I want". It's an approach I have used with some success with organisations as widely varied as the United Nations, the Government of Iraq and my local post office!

To both help the club and the DVLA in registration matters, I suggest you start early and gather information, data, documents, photographs and anything else that supports the case. Then take a bit of time and trouble to assemble it in a logical order, with clear explanations and with copies of all the supporting evidence provided and referenced. Present it clearly, neatly and in an easy to handle manner (such as in a binding folder) and ask someone else to look at it before you send it off - they may spot a flaw in your logic, or a missing bit of required information/evidence that you haven't. The bottom line is : Make it easy for them to say 'Yes'.

Finally, I think we should remember that many of the problems arise stem from the behaviour of those who have tried to use the system for their own gain in the past.

Hamish
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2015 :  15:43:14  Show Profile
Wise words, Hamish.

And let's not forget that the Register and the MGCC can together assist owners if they have a bona fide case to present to the DVLA. As we know from the recent seminar, the DVLA places some weight on applications that have been reviewed and signed off by the Club before submission.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000