Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 George Eyston
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nmears

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2024 :  21:40:07  Show Profile
Good evening, I am in the process of researching the many exploits of George Eyston. I’m hoping to put together a talk for my Natter at the Fairmile in Surrey. I’m particularly interested in his lifelong friendship with Bert Denly. If anyone has any information I’d be very grateful. There was an interesting interview with Denly in a past Enjoying MG, but unfortunately I lost the reference.
Many thanks Neil

NHJ Mears

Bathurst

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2024 :  22:58:53  Show Profile
He was a director of Jarvis of Wimbledon the MG agent in Surrey so that could be interesting for your talk. Do you need reference material to source info on that ?

Rob
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2024 :  07:54:57  Show Profile
Denly's son lives in Hindhead, near the golf course. There may be some material to be retrieved if you can find him. I have no further details.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Edited by - Ian Bowers on 16/07/2024 07:55:28
Go to Top of Page

nmears

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2024 :  14:02:36  Show Profile
Hi Ian, Thanks for the info. Would be great to contact him. If you know of anyone with any more details. Please pass on my message.
Best wishes
Neil

NHJ Mears
Go to Top of Page

nmears

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2024 :  14:03:49  Show Profile
Hi Rob, Thanks for your reply m. Any info would be appreciated.

Best wishes
Neil

NHJ Mears
Go to Top of Page

DanPA

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2024 :  18:29:29  Show Profile
When I visited Mapledurham House near Pangbourne, I saw that the current owner is (was) an Eyston and there was information about George Eyston there as well as a frequent visitor and family member. I do not know if they have any sort of library or archive of personal information.

Mapledurham has been suggested as an inspiration for Toad Hall. It is am interesting visit.

Cheers,

Daniel Shockey
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6159 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2024 :  20:17:28  Show Profile
Neill,

If you don’t have a copy of this book, I could pop it in the post for you to borrow.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

nmears

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2024 :  10:48:20  Show Profile
Dear Simon,
Thanks so much for your very kind offer. I do have a copy of the book along with “Safety Last” another of his books. Having said that the dust cover caught my eye. Another Bryan de Grineau.

Not seen that before. Thanks for sharing.
Warmest regards

Neil

NHJ Mears
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6159 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2024 :  20:25:13  Show Profile
Neil,
This is one of four Bryan de Grineau drawings specially commissioned for the version of the book that I have.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/07/2024 20:36:55
Go to Top of Page

Mike on Thames

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2024 :  22:16:46  Show Profile
Do you have a copy of Speed on Salt? There is a picture of Denly in it (below). Can you imagine being allowed a go at flying flying the airliner - unbelievable!

Go to Top of Page

Bathurst

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2024 :  05:02:50  Show Profile
Hi Neil,
I wrote the story of Jarvis for an MG publication as long ago as 1974. I updated it for the MMM Register's Yearbook 2011. Hope you can locate a copy. If not let me know as I may have a back up file.
Earlier postings on the Forum of "Jarvis" give a lot more info. Have you opened Pandora's box!!?

Cheers Rob
Newcastle Australia

Rob
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2560 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2024 :  09:28:08  Show Profile
Difficult to make out but I think it says "Staniland" in the caption, as being involved in the piloting. Chris Staniland was not only a racing driver, which probably explains his presence, but also chief test pilot for Fairey Aviation so very well qualified to fly what appears to be a DC3. They have been flown effectively solo with merely an assistant to raise and lower the undercarriage etc so George Eyston could I'm sure have fitted that bill.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

nmears

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2024 :  14:28:12  Show Profile
Hi Mike, Thanks for your post, very kind.
I do have a copy of the book. I’m currently reading it. Great account.
Thanks again
Neil

quote:
Originally posted by Mike on Thames

Do you have a copy of Speed on Salt? There is a picture of Denly in it (below). Can you imagine being allowed a go at flying flying the airliner - unbelievable!

NHJ Mears

Edited by - mgmog on 19/07/2024 15:00:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000