Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Ex Eyston Mille Miglia K3 sale
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Westbury

United Kingdom
2034 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2024 :  11:08:40  Show Profile
Up for auction by Bonhams at Goodwood on 7th September.
Beautiful car!
Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 01/08/2024 11:10:35

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3243 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2024 :  12:37:26  Show Profile
This car was the subject of the book "The Mighty MG Magnettes of 33" written by Graeme Cocks. There was a special edition of the book which came with a slip case - I have one which is numbered K3 126. It is certainly a well researched and very well illustrated book.

The car is K3003 which was owned and restored by P Bayne-Powell. The late Peter Briggs purchased the car in 1986.

George
Go to Top of Page

miketh

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2024 :  22:53:54  Show Profile
https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/29334/preview-lot/5890394/1933-mg-k3-two-seater-sports-chassis-no-k3003/

Mike T
J2391
Go to Top of Page

MGNA0613

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2024 :  16:37:24  Show Profile
Off course that's a lot of money in pounds sterling or dollars but I've seen cars auctioned off for a lot more money that aren't anything as historical as this car.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkes

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  18:32:35  Show Profile
i just idly looked this up in the Hawke history of mmm competition cars. Am i misreading it, it looks like the original K3003 that Eyston etc drove in Mille Miglia only a handful of parts survived in Germany in 50's after long career racing , rest of the car no trace . The "other" K3003 (K33) was a K3 chassis at Thomson &Taylor Brooklands in 30's, built up as single seater with ex K3007 body. Ended up in scrapyard with no body. philip Bayne Powell restored it with Ulster TT pattern body. Reg JB1475 issued. sold to Peter Briggs.
So is it the The Eyston car or not? Just interested if someone can clarify?
Go to Top of Page

Teifion

United Kingdom
142 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2024 :  19:47:42  Show Profile
Believe you're right Simon, be interesting to see how Bonham's final listing is worded nearer the auction date..#129300;

Teifion
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
41 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2024 :  08:28:51  Show Profile
Thank you for your kinds words on my book. One of the reasons for writing the book was that the earlier history as written in the Dossier was quite wrong, even though it was written with the best of intentions. It did the car a great disservice. It was written before we had the ability to check archives, compare sources and track things down via email. My research was over a decade. The history of the car is covered in a great deal of detail in my book and I suggest that people take a look if they want a more accurate history of the car, and indeed, the other team cars of 1933. Mike Allison confirmed the more accurate history after my book was published in a number of articles he wrote for MG magazines. Graeme
Go to Top of Page

Cris DaBica

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2024 :  21:15:05  Show Profile
Graeme, I've read your book cover to cover at least 4 times. Great work. You featured a handful of quotes from my mentor and life-long family friend, Dick Knudson. He gifted me all his research on the Automobile Racing Club of America and every time I see the picture of his ledger in the book, it reminds me of him.

Teifion, are you implying that someone else has—in the wake of the 33 book being published—put forth a stronger claim about the MM/TT winner's mortal remains that Bonham's needs to navigate their way around?

Cris
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
41 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2024 :  00:39:20  Show Profile
Thanks Cris, it is great to hear your enthusiasm for the book and my research. Dick Knudson assisted me greatly with the book and shared his personal archives on the team Magnettes and the factory interviews. He saw us all wanting to establish the facts behind the cars and to record the stories from the people who were there. The story of the 1933 Mille Miglia class win and then Nuvolari's win at Ards is one of the great stories of British motor sport which is often eclipsed by the Bentley Boy sagas. I think that the performance by George Eyston and Giovanni Lurani in the heartland of the Italian motor industry is at least as significant as the individual Bentley wins in the early years of Le Mans. K3003 is a great car. I was asked to drive it recently at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and I was thrilled to be able to pilot it before it is sold to a new custodian.
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
41 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2024 :  00:49:12  Show Profile
Dick Knudson established a friendship with George Eyston who spent a great deal of time in the USA. Here is a picture of the two of them together. It would be great to read that speech!

Go to Top of Page

Teifion

United Kingdom
142 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2024 :  01:16:31  Show Profile
Hi Cris,
I refer only to Karl Weissman's excellent 'blue book' which sets out the history/whereabouts of K3003 and K33.

Teifion
Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
41 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2024 :  04:32:05  Show Profile
Teifion, that book was based on Mike Hawke's old research on K3003 from many years ago.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000