Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Photo of an MG
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  09:13:16  Show Profile
I had this photo sent to me on facebook by a friend. I do not know about copyright and moderator remove please if this causes a problem. Maybe the car still exists and the owner may like this photo.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  10:27:53  Show Profile
J2590. MMM number 980. Shown on the current Register as being owned by B C Wehril although it looks as if we have had no direct contact with him for some years. Country of residence not known.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  12:06:06  Show Profile
It's a still promotion shot from an old TV series, I think it was discussed on here many moons ago.

JH
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  13:48:50  Show Profile
Everything in the picture looks convincingly 1940's or early 1950's (including the girl and awful tyres and the messed up lights and the dull paint and the hydraulic brakes) but the driver looks like an actor. There is a profile photograph of this car with the same driver but I have not been able to find it.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  14:31:48  Show Profile
This picture featured on the front cover of the summer 2008 VSCC Bulletin with the following description: " A charming picture shot in 1946 to promote the serialized BBC radio play 'The Baker Family'.
A dashing young RAF pilot arrives at his girlfriends house in a delightfully down at heel J2 MG with one headlight and a door handle missing. No doubt it had been running on high octane aviation fuel for the previous few years". (Dacre Stubbs Collection)

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  14:49:05  Show Profile
I thought that maybe the pilot was used to only a single landing light low down near the undercarriage.

Thanks for the details.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  18:46:25  Show Profile
From the same series of photos:

There used to be a lot like that!

JH
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  19:13:46  Show Profile
Arrr no door handles, no doubt just the turnbuckles and latches on the inside. Those were the days. Never forget losing a girl friend because she got frightened by J2 doors flying open. She fell out with me but never fell out of the car though !!

TH
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  19:50:25  Show Profile
I remember a story told by a previous owner of my J2247. When asked about why there were screen door hooks on the doors, he replied that one day he and his girl friend were out for a ride. When he wondered why she stopped talking to him, he notices she was no longer in the car. On retracing his route, he found her sitting in the middle of an intersection at the last turn cursing up a blue streak. Terry, if you remember that was Chris B. at Gomshall.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  22:30:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mjb

This picture featured on the front cover of the summer 2008 VSCC Bulletin with the following description: " A charming picture shot in 1946 to promote the serialized BBC radio play 'The Baker Family'.
A dashing young RAF pilot arrives at his girlfriends house in a delightfully down at heel J2 MG with one headlight and a door handle missing. No doubt it had been running on high octane aviation fuel for the previous few years". (Dacre Stubbs Collection)

mike bradbury

The BBC Genome project - the Radio Times archive digitised - doesn't seem to know of a radio play (or indeed any production) of that title.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000