Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 J2 "Special"
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2020 :  21:12:03  Show Profile
Whilst not wishing to get into a discussion about the description of this car I would like to know its whereabouts now, assuming it is still in one piece. This picture is at Silverstone in 'early 70's.
The car was a copy of Geoff Coles blue car that he let me measure up for the purpose. He lived at Sevenoaks at the time, working for Marley Buildings, apart from being a friend he was a mine of information and help to me. In this picture the car is unsupercharged but a Centric 160 was fitted soon afterwards. Construction had started when I lived in the Midlands but a company move meant that it was not completed until I lived in Salisbury, its first outing was a test run at Thruxton that was not without event!
The car went into the possession of Dermot (Ted) Reynolds and was periodically driven by Andy McClennan.
It was something of a bitsa in that it had a P engine grafted onto a F type gearbox by way of a hybrid meld of a J and P engine bell housing. The body was a close copy of Geoff's car and was very light.

My interest was awakened when I found an unattributed photo of the car taken at Prescott in a picture book at a French autojumble.
My question is does this car still exist in it's original form and where is it now?

Regards Roger

Roger

John Hunting

Australia
88 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2020 :  21:43:15  Show Profile
I think the car is in Western Australia and owned by Ed Farrar
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1501 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2020 :  22:39:15  Show Profile
How wonderful. These old specials are all part of our racing heritage :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Joe S

Switzerland
22 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2020 :  12:00:30  Show Profile
This was a facebook post by Thomas Benson 7th August 2019, captioned:
"My good friend Ed Farrar, who's birthday it was only yesterday tinkering with his beloved J2. Many times spent competing alongside Ed in this machine. Ex Brooklands car."
A lovely "atmospheric" photo!

Joe
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2020 :  20:53:41  Show Profile
Joe, Thanks for the facebook picture of Ed Farrer's car and certainly the mirror cowlings and scuttle look familiar but clearly other elements are different. For general interest I have added a picture of Geoff Coles in the car that I originally used to copy, this was taken at Silverstone in '73. Perhaps too much time has now passed to get a definitive answer to the existence of my original special, but we shall see.

Thanks to anyone who can add to the conundrum.

Regards Roger

Roger
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2020 :  20:44:48  Show Profile
John, I have sent you two e-mails via the forum system but your server or mail box is refusing to accept them and the bounce back, any suggestions.

Regards Roger

Roger
Go to Top of Page

John Hunting

Australia
88 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2020 :  02:09:29  Show Profile
Roger . My email is l2048na0297@yahoo.com.au or l2048@hotmail.com , the first letter is a lower case L and the 0 are zero's . Please try direct .john
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000