Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Speedway Racing Cars
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lescars

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  10:47:57  Show Profile
Hello.
Could anyone confirm details of the engines used for cars that were taking part in Midget Speedway racing in the U.K. particularly the 1950s?
Were any of the engines from MGs?
I believe road racing cars from the time ,also known as Midgets only had 500cc engines but the speedway ones had bigger engines?
Thank you

gwaiting

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  10:54:57  Show Profile
Hi,
They were known to use Vincent motorbike engines 500 and 1000 cc. Presumably others as well.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  12:34:29  Show Profile
Can't speak for the UK, but midget racing was very popular in the States in the late 40's and 50's. They raced inside small stadiums and used Offenhauser 97 cu inch engines. Offenhauser, of course ,built much larger engines that propelled many Indianapolis 500 winners. AS a boy my Dad took me several times to Midget races in my home town of Paterson NJ.

Paterson was the home of" Gasoline Alley", a place containing some 40 garages where all kinds of automotive activities took place and where several small machine shops did all kinds of modifications to engines. I had my TD engine rebuilt there in the mid 70's. The garages are still there, but the skilled personnel are all gone.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

lescars

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  21:56:19  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by lescars

Hello.
Could anyone confirm details of the engines used for cars that were taking part in Midget Speedway racing in the U.K. particularly the 1950s?
Were any of the engines from MGs?
I believe road racing cars from the time ,also known as Midgets only had 500cc engines but the speedway ones had bigger engines?
Thank you
##Have since been told that most of these cars were Skirrows if that helps###
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000