Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 old racing MG images info?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sessil

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2022 :  16:21:39  Show Profile
Wonder if anyone has any info on these images from the 80s?

P.Cranage

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2022 :  16:00:39  Show Profile
This is the Turner L type special. It resided, along with three Bertelli Astons, a green cycle winged K2 MG and a very large Isotta Fraschini in the overgrown garden of an unoccupied bungalow in a village near Droitwich. All in a similar state of neglect.

Around 1970 an article about the cars appeared in the Birmingham Sunday Mercury which resulted in a lot of interest and the owner, Alan Riley, putting barbed wire around the property. After this parts were regularly pilfered from the cars and these photos are no later than that time. It looks complete except for the blower which the owner had in his locker at the Austin, Longbridge.

I knew about the car before this and had asked him about selling it but he was not interested and he was convinced it was a K3. His father had originally bought the car.

I took no further interest and apparently some years later the site was cleared and what remained of the L type was discovered elsewhere and the car rebuilt as it is now.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2009 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2022 :  16:45:24  Show Profile

It always amazes me how someone can be so convinced that they treasure a car, that they will restore it, refuse to let someone else have the opportunity and yet allow the same car to languish for years and deteriorate to this extent.
I remember seeing the car at Silverstone after it had been rebuilt by Peter Gregory, it was absolutely stunning and thankfully saved from oblivion.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2022 :  14:11:33  Show Profile
First of all welcome to the Forum Pete.

Pete is well known as being the previous owner of an ND, chassis NA0253, which was fitted with an original NE body. The car was unblown but very quick when regularly raced by Pete. The car has now been rebuilt, painted green and fitted with a supercharger.

The car in the photos is the Turner special, chassis L0364, which was rescued, rebuilt to a high standard and regularly raced. There are photos of the car on the Register’s web page.

I wonder what the chassis number of the K2 was and does it survive? As Chris has stated, how could anyone leave such valuable cars to rot in the open.

George
Registrar F/L/N types and PBs.

Edited by - George Eagle on 07/02/2022 14:30:09
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2022 :  15:26:02  Show Profile
It's great to be able to welcome Pete Cranage to this Forum. Pete's enviable reputation and expertise precedes him!

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
secretary@triple-mregister.org
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2009 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2022 :  16:09:17  Show Profile
I have the rear half of the NE body that was fitted to Pete’s N type, I believe the front half was obtained from Geoff Coles’s J4.
Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 07/02/2022 16:12:11
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  08:46:22  Show Profile
Chris. I don’t think you have the NE tail that was fitted to Peter’s N special . Pete and I were racing at the same time ; he in the N and I had the Lund PB fitted with that tail .
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2009 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  15:30:59  Show Profile
Thanks, Ray.
Re -reading my previous post I realise it sounds ambiguous, sorry.
I don’t think the NE rear half that I have was ever fitted to Peter’s N type in the first place. Geoff Coles only used the front of an NE body so Geoff or someone else at some point must have passed this front half on for use on Peter’s car which, I believe, had a new tail made and fitted. I can only assume that Geoff passed the NE rear half onto Ted Lund at the time he was first building his J type. It is a real mystery, I wonder if Peter could cast some light on the subject?
Best regards,
Chris
P.S. sorry, I seemed to have wandered off the original subject of this item !!

Edited by - Westbury on 08/02/2022 15:53:49
Go to Top of Page

P.Cranage

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  11:47:12  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome to the forum, in fact I have been a member since 2009 but have never commented on anything before. Re the derelict cars, there were quite a lot of these around 50 plus years ago. In addition to the Turner Special the same person had a type 37 Bugatti and an 8c Alfa chassis at different locations in the same state. About the same time I also failed to persuade others to part with an NE stored under a cover on a roadside grass verge or the Parnell K3 sitting in a field where it was used by the owners children to ride round on.

Re the NE body on my special, Geoff Coles purchased the whole body off 0522 around 1945 and had it running on his J type by the Brighton Speed Trials of 1946. He used parts of the bonnet to make a shorter one. The rear detachable part of the tail was rather crudely shortened either by accident or design as it may have looked too long on a J chassis. This is all clear to see in photos and is what I acquired in 1970, at no time was it divided in two parts.

The Lund special was active in international races by 1947/8 (Isle of Man) and the only tail section and tank that could have been available at that time was off 0521 which had this removed pre war as the car was used in trials. The front half of this body, which presumably stayed on 0521 until it received an all enveloping one post war, has not resurfaced so far.

The last NE to lose it’s body was 0517 in the early 1950’s when an all enveloping fibreglass one was fitted. This has to be the body that Mike Dowley had then Galliers, who fitted it on a ND chassis.

There were three NEs that lost their bodies and this seems to account for them.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2009 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  14:02:45  Show Profile
Hello, Peter.
Many thanks for your information on the NE body conundrum. Your explanation certainly fits the possibilities contained in Pete Thelander’s book ‘ The MG NE Archives’. If you don’t mind, I would like to pass on your post to Pete Thelander for his information.
Best regards,
Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 10/02/2022 14:13:08
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2009 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2022 :  19:30:17  Show Profile
Many thanks again to Peter for his great help and knowledge of NE history gratefully received.
Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 16/02/2022 19:30:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000