Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 M-Type Production Line
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reinout

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2023 :  16:51:04  Show Profile
What can we tell about this photo of an early m-Type production line: is this already Abingdon or still in Oxford, what piece of equipment sits next to the kneeling mechanic, why are some mechanics in a white shirt, vest, and tie, while others are more in worker clothes... etc. etc.

PS: This wonderful photo came from Dick Knudsen's book MG Record Breakers From Abingdon.

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2023 :  17:12:55  Show Profile
I would say the kneeling man is holding an airline and pumping up the tyre of the n/s front wheel. There looks to be two hammers (both standing on their heads) and a wheel brace on the floor. The man behind him is wearing a coat so he would probably be a foreman; looks like he may have a plaster cast on his wrist?

R. White
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2023 :  18:55:30  Show Profile
As the cars appear to have rear hinged doors (suicide doors) it seems that it would be Edmund Road as when they moved to Abingdon, the M type was modified with fully cable brakes and front hinged doors. also in front of the man bending down you can just see the hole in the valance where the cross shaft projects.
I stand to be corrected if anyone thinks differently.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 26/07/2023 18:57:23
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2023 :  19:03:54  Show Profile
I’d agree, John, the brake cross shaft confirms it's Oxford, not Abingdon.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 26/07/2023 19:06:21
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2023 :  19:11:46  Show Profile
I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that the man in the flat cap squatting (next to the tyre inflator) is none other than Cecil Kimber himself. There are very few photos (that I know) of Kimber in the early days to compare with... but why would he not be in a photo of the works ? and everyone seems fully occupied which would definitely been the case if the boss was there.!

R. White
Go to Top of Page

rapide

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2023 :  19:33:01  Show Profile
the way I see it is a portable revolving drum positioned behind the wheel to spin the wheel. The tools are not necessarily hammers and brace but could be a device for checking throw out and or tracking . The part that appears to have a curved pointer ( could be hinged ) that may support my theory. I would have thought tyres on wheels taken from the parts bin would not have been checked for pressure until a little later in the process unless a flat was evident and I don't think his hand is anywhere near the valve nor do I think that is a younger Kimber. Looks more like David Walliams!

Edited by - rapide on 26/07/2023 19:34:50
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2009 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2023 :  19:43:40  Show Profile
Great picture!
Ray, definitely not Cecil Kimber.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2023 :  20:10:50  Show Profile
This might make things a bit clearer.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Reinout

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2023 :  15:49:46  Show Profile
The first car in the line (on the right in the photo) has no bonnet yet. Cars 2 and 3 both have the bonnet being worked on my a mechanic in a white shirt (with a tie?) and a dark vest. Then,cars 4, 5, and 6 have the bonnet removed again?

And the poster hanging on the wall, in the middle of the photo, looks maybe like a Morris advertisement?

Does anybody have a better resolution version of this photo where we could read what is on the black sign above the workbench?

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2023 :  15:27:28  Show Profile
That does not look like Kimber to me.

The location must be Oxford as the line appears to be a production line with the cars at the front being almost complete whilst the cars at the rear have no windscreen, mudguards or bonnet?

George
Go to Top of Page

mackeith

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2023 :  19:19:14  Show Profile
Malcolm Green's article 'The M-type' in MG Owners' Club December 2000 'Enjoying MG' caption's this photograph 'Because of shortage of space at the Edmunds Road factory, the final assembly of the M-type took place at the Leopold Street premises of the Morris Garages.'

PDF found at https://www.prewarminor.com/wp-content/downloads/m_type/Enjoying-MG-Dec-2000-M-Type-Article.pdf

James
M 662
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000