Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2 draught excluder plate mod
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

njnh

United Kingdom
404 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2023 :  17:09:22  Show Profile
I probably need to get my J2 gearbox out again over winter and I am not looking forward to having to raise the bulkhead once more to enable me to remove and re-fit the rubber fume seal which is a pain in the neck. Someone has described a modification which uses an additional shallow plate to enable the gearbox to be removed without disturbing the rubber seal. Can anyone point me to a drawing of the modification or, better still, does anyone have one of these shallow plates surplus to requirements?

Nigel H

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6130 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2023 :  17:51:58  Show Profile
Pages 8 & 9 - https://www.triple-mregister.org/uploads/retro/MMMyb1993.pdf

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2023 :  18:06:24  Show Profile
This is the diagram of the mod in G Howell's J2 restoration book - full instructions see page 9 as above!

Graham R.

Edited by - gsrun on 24/09/2023 18:11:38
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2023 :  23:39:00  Show Profile
Nigel the problem is the rubber seal. Modern ones are thicker and not so flexible as the original ones. An easy solution that retains the original appearance is to widen the gap between the plate and the firewall by taking material off the top edge of the plate. You will then find that with a good coating of Vaseline the seal can be positioned from one side and pushed round.

TH
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
404 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2023 :  19:46:36  Show Profile
Many thanks for your helpful replies. I think I will reduce the existing plate as Terry suggests in the first instance and see how I go.

Best wishes
Nigel

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000