Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 ENV manual gearbox casing
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DADA

Luxembourg
127 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2023 :  17:09:38  Show Profile
Looking for an ENV crosstube manual casing, could offer non crosstube casing in exchange. No reaction on my requests from Tom Dark.
Could collect at Stoneleigh.

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2023 :  09:22:41  Show Profile
Tom has no casings left. We had the last one some time ago. Andy King was offering these but without h the clamps forming part of the casting, for some reason. However, machining these cases is notoriously difficult.

The one we had from Tom had its problems and we discovered and had to be re- machined.

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 26/11/2023 09:26:12
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2023 :  23:06:34  Show Profile
Hi Norbert,
just built a X-tube ENV for a C-type. Used a rotten F gearbox and a new case from Andy King...looks good and works!
FOZ

Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2023 :  00:17:49  Show Profile
Looks pretty excellent.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

DADA

Luxembourg
127 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2023 :  06:35:28  Show Profile
Barry, was the machining OK?
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2023 :  11:31:57  Show Profile
Hi Norbert,
machining was good and required only a few fitting adjustments such as honeing the selector shaft bores and detent ball pockets.... original selector shafts had a wear pattern to accommodate.
Front and rear castings and remote unit went straight on. I put each shaft,gearset in by themselves first fit and then built up in the usual way.
Andy's machinist had used the dims I gave him so it took the better first gears (3.3:1) that I had made......other than that all the usual F-type bits went in.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

DADA

Luxembourg
127 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2023 :  12:24:57  Show Profile
Thank you Barry for the information. If I understand it right, this casing will only work with the modified first gear, if available.
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2023 :  12:15:08  Show Profile
Hi Norbert,
The casting can be machined for original or close ratio first gear set. The position of the reverse shaft (bottom, rear o/side) is different so the two bores to support the shaft are moved upwards relative to the bottom of the case. Have modified original boxes by plugging the old holes and remachining. The reverse shaft has one corner cut off the flange so it misses the rear end casting. This is similar to the original ENV close ratio gearboxes made available for C-type, with the left over ones being used in the J4. Oliver Richardson had one or two sets of the gears left when last we spoke of them. Consists of the large gear on the mainshaft which has 2nd gear bolted to it and its pair for the layshaft. The reverse gear has to be moved as it engages in both these gears when selected.
They were designed by Barry Linger... well known Triple-M person.... cannot remember exactly when fitted to the Rat but they do make first gear useable and often worth a place or two off the startline
If you look at the top picture in my previous post you can see the old first gear on the bench behind....
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

DADA

Luxembourg
127 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2023 :  06:59:36  Show Profile
Barry, thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: