Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Chassis number for my MG PA
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Davy Termote

Belgium
2 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2024 :  20:35:18  Show Profile
At the beginning of this year we bought a 1934 MG PA in Spain. At the moment we’re trying to get it through customs, which isn’t going very well, but I already found the next problem.

Soon I’ll have to go to the Belgian MOT with it. I already know they’re always very strict about the chassis number and expect it to be the same as the one on the importation documents. Our documents mention 'PA0865', but the Knuckels say 'P865'.

Even though I know this is correct, I suspect they’ll make a fuss about it because the A and 0 are missing. Would there be any official document that proves this is an original and correctly printed chassis number for this car? Some pictures about a similar printed chassis number of other PA cars might also convince them.

TIA for the help!

PS: I tried to register the car on the MMM a couple of times but the website keeps blocking after the 3rd question.

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2024 :  21:07:03  Show Profile
Hi Davy,

Welcome to the wonderful Triple M world.

If it's any help, here is a photo of my PA. I didn't find any letters at all. Maybe I should scrape a bit further and I may find a P but I don't think there will be an A. You will however note that there is no leading "0", just 568.

Good luck with you authorities!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Digby

United Kingdom
133 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2024 :  22:13:29  Show Profile
Hello Davy. Those more knowledgeable than me will no doubt provide you with more details but most importantly, the designation PA did not exist until the PB was introduced so up until that date at least, chassis stamping would only be a letter “P” and yours is a relatively early P-type so we’ll before the PB was introduced.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2024 :  06:47:47  Show Profile
Davy, welcome to the forum. We can reassure you that the chassis number stamping on your P type knuckle appears to be in accordance with the original factory patterns for these stampings. As Digby says, no P types where ever originally stamped “PA“. However, the letters “PA“ did appear on the MG car company guarantee plate. Do you still have that plate with the car?

Another quirk of the factory system was that a leading zero was not stamped on these cars’ knuckles until well into the 500+ series of chassis numbers.

If you are having difficulty registering the car, suggest you contact Mike Long. He is our registrar for the P types, and can guide you. His contact details are on our website contact page.

Good luck!

PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2024 :  07:56:04  Show Profile
Perhaps the factory ledger shows just the P designation for PA's?

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

DSW

Germany
95 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2024 :  09:02:48  Show Profile
I note that we have about 10 subscribers from Belgium who have posted here at some time or other - maybe some local advice or precedence in these these annoying issues would be available.
Contact details can usually be found in the profile data.

David
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2024 :  12:33:36  Show Profile
Davy
Try "Locate subscribers" from the menu in the top right-hand corner of the mail page.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Geoff.Broadhead

New Zealand
27 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2024 :  08:23:26  Show Profile
Just to complicate the subject of P Type chassis numbers, Mike Long told me recently that "Geoff, I believe that the early chassis numbers were preceded by P1 above the
actual number. On later ones, only a P was stamped on the top line. I am not sure at what number the 1 was dropped".
I had referred a NZ P Type chassis number to Mike - it showed P1 365. I incorrectly had assumed this meant PA 1365.

Geoff

Go to Top of Page

Rainier

Netherlands
160 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2024 :  08:56:24  Show Profile
I had similar issues at the RDW (Dutch DVLA). They understood that “P 0884” designated the chassis number, but strictly speaking wasn’t in accordance to “PA0884” on the V5c. They stamped a new chassis number in the chassis on the drivers side and to my horror they hammered an X through the original digits with a pneumatic pin! At home I was able to undo this vandalism as it was very superficial. All in all not an experience I’d like to relive, but on the upside I got it registered…

Rainier
Go to Top of Page

Davy Termote

Belgium
2 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2024 :  10:19:05  Show Profile
Last Thursday I went to the Belgian MOT. Unfortunately, despite taking all the pictures and description I received here (huge thanks for that!) with me, the car failed the MOT due to a wrong chassis number.
They admitted that the chassis number on the car was probably the right one, but they’re not allowed to admit cars into the traffic of which the chassis number on the car differs from that on the registration certificate. The chassis number on the guarantee plate is correct but doesn’t count for them.
As the MOT doesn’t know a solution, they’ll ask the legal service internally, which could take a while.
(Hopefully) to be continued …
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2024 :  21:14:26  Show Profile
Thanks Davy,

That’s really frustrating. When the authorities have given you greater clarity about how they might be able to deal with the situation, it may well be that we in the MGCC triple-M register could issue some form of formal confirmation or statement concerning the numbering of your car. This is something we are able to do for MGCCmembers (or members of a local M G Car Club that is affiliated to the main UK MGCC) who run into these sorts of difficulties.
In other jurisdictions, we have also found that the authorities will insist on applying a fresh stamping to another area of the chassis. It is to be hoped that if that happens, they will not require you to obliterate or efface the existing stamping, because that is clearly original to the car and would have been applied when the car was first assembled and rolled out!

PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000