Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 12/12 inlet manifold
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SV4670

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  21:35:07  Show Profile
I am looking for an inlet manifold for a M type suitable for use with a SU downdraft carburettor, anyone out there with a spare they might sell?

g waiting

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  22:02:29  Show Profile
Hi Derek,
When I did this some years ago I found the Austin 7 d/d equivalent fitted with very minor adjustment. New castings were available for little money then and probably still are.
Sam Christie will post a photo if you ask nicely.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

DK6780

United Kingdom
249 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  22:44:32  Show Profile
Derek
Off topic, but I'm unconvinced that these give any more power than a standard manifold with the sole advantage being that you can use a horizontal exhaust manifold if that's the style that you are seeking.
Regards
Duncan
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  23:49:18  Show Profile

It is a bit subjective but this arrangement seems to work very well.

Frank Ashley achieved objectively very good results with his M-type and pictures below show part of the reason why.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

DK6780

United Kingdom
249 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2024 :  14:04:14  Show Profile
Sam's top photo appears to be an ALR2 downdraft manifold for an A7 modified by Garry to fit.

http://www.7ca.co.uk/new_parts.htm

The second one appears to be one of the blown manifolds produced by Andy King.

https://prewarmgparts.co.uk/mg-m-type-12-12-inlet-manifold/p495358.html

Looking at the exhaust manifolds the first is a work of art in reproducing a period piece, but may not be as effective as the distinctly modern type used by Frank. I'm interested in the use of separate branches from the siamesed central ports in the head.
Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2024 :  21:28:51  Show Profile
Thank you for the replies, I am currently using an Austin 7 manifold like the one shown on the red coloured car. I would like a manifold like the one on Frank Ashley 's car. I think it will breathe better, I have the same exhaust manifold as Frank's car. Maybe I will try Andy King unless someone has one
Go to Top of Page

DK6780

United Kingdom
249 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2024 :  22:09:16  Show Profile
Derek
Where did you get your exhaust from?
Duncan
Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2024 :  19:52:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DK6780

Derek
Where did you get your exhaust from?
Duncan

Duncan, a chap by the name of Andy Newton made it for me, he also made Frank Ashley's exhaust manifold. Andy lives near Strelley which is not far from Nottingham. Not sure if he is still in business though. The number I have for him is 7711241782
Go to Top of Page

DADA

Luxembourg
127 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  07:22:51  Show Profile
Derek and all M type lowers,
I had one of those exhaust manifolds made with the help and pattern from Frank Ashley by this company. Excellent work. I never fitted them as I intend to replicate for my car the original Derrington manifold, if only I could find the time to finish all my projects.
DADA

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2024 :  11:54:39  Show Profile

Frank Ashley very kindly explained his exhaust system which is based on one which Mike Dowley had on his C-type. Frank was introduced to a firm in ...

Frank's system was very successful and Norbert's looks like a worthy successor.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

DK6780

United Kingdom
249 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2024 :  20:22:26  Show Profile
Norbert
Email sent via the system.
The Derrington manifold is delightfully period, but I'd be interested in the "Nottingham" products if you are willing to part with them.
Regards
Duncan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000