Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Hood Fabric
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2024 :  11:05:58  Show Profile
Is anyone up to date on the best on the best option for hood fabric? I've always been a fan of Wigan weave- stows so much nicer than the thicker Double Duck but looks much the same when up. The cost saving was useful too. I can sew Wigan easily on my sewing machine, but Duck just wants to fight me

These days though very few places sell Wigan, and at Woolies for example, it's actually more expensive than Double Duck which just seems wrong.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom to help steer me in the right direction? Is there a good source of Wigan, or even a good alternative?

Edited by - KevinA on 21/07/2024 11:06:59

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2024 :  11:14:33  Show Profile
I’m a Wigan man myself, Kevin, for exactly the reason you give- it’s much easier to stow than double duck. The alternative is to use solution dyed acrylic fabric such as Haartz Stayfast. Have a look at this article - https://www.triple-mregister.org/uploads/retro/J-type_hood.pdf - where I set out the pros and cons of the various options.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2024 :  20:45:50  Show Profile
Hi Kevin,
Mohair from Martrim is the one to go for, looks and handles like Wigan, but crucially does not shrink, fade or disintegrate after 2 years like Wigan.
Currently priced at £50/m. I have used it many times, it is excellent.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2024 :  21:06:59  Show Profile
The choice of hooding material is a very personal one but I’d just like to say that the Wigan hood, side screens and full length tonneau cover which were made for my car in 2013 have not shrunk, faded or disintegrated since then. Perhaps there are different qualities of Wigan?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2024 :  07:20:13  Show Profile
Perhaps so Simon, I stopped using it 30 years ago for the reasons stated.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2024 :  08:56:00  Show Profile
Maybe the quality has improved since then, Garry? I recall that the beige/fawn Wigan was probe to disintegrating and as far as I know, still isn’t readily available today. There was a plan to make some in the US about ten years ago but I don’t know if that came to fruition. But certainly my black Wigan weather equipment is like new after more than ten years.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2024 :  09:31:11  Show Profile
While there is no sign of shrinkage etc on my mohair hood after, as I recall, about 7 years, the trimmers did advise me to keep the hood erect whenever the car was not in use, specifically to avoid such.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2024 :  10:01:34  Show Profile
Of course it’s not actual 'mohair'.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2024 :  11:12:48  Show Profile
Are you sure, Simon, and if not, then what is it?

A search turned nothing but information on the use of the hair fibre from the angora goat.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2024 :  13:00:02  Show Profile
As a retired motor car development engineer, I suggest that a modern purpose-designed hood fabric like Haartz Stayfast would be best: https://www.haartz.com/products/stayfast

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000