Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 preselect gearbox
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

eggen

Switzerland
34 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2024 :  11:33:00  Show Profile
Hi all

I am after an ENV75 or similar, for my MG PB, any condition considered.
Chassis number PB0434

Stefan

coracle

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2024 :  14:13:07  Show Profile
There are a few Armstrong boxes on eBay at the moment, one already set up for an MG, advertised by Big Tony who I also think is a forum subscriber.

The Armstrong box is probably a bit big and heavy for a 4 cylinder car though and requires the hand brake cross shaft to be modified.

Edited by - coracle on 02/08/2024 14:14:58
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3388 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2024 :  14:09:40  Show Profile
Stefan
Greg has two for sale. See "Parts for Sale"

Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2024 :  14:34:44  Show Profile
Nick, those are both manual; it's a preselector that Stefan is after.
Go to Top of Page

DK6780

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2024 :  16:58:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by coracle

The Armstrong box is probably a bit big and heavy for a 4 cylinder car though

That's an understatement! The Type 75 is so called as it's rated for a 75 BHP output, and has much more suitable ratios unless the Armstrong box has been modified.

Are you looking for a rebuilt box or are you willing to rebuild one? Also does it need to already have a bell housing and what ratios?
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2024 :  17:54:21  Show Profile

I understand that the ENV has a maximum rated torque of 60 ft lb which represents 60bhp at 5252 rpm.

Clearly it was capable of standing up to much more when one considers the power output of the K, Q and R types but had its limitations, hence the torque limiting clutch introduced on the R types.

The Armstrong is a bigger heavier box which although not as sophisticated as the ENV having only plain bearings on the planet wheels rather than the ENV's needle rollers, will take more torque and thus power. This is why many K3s and other 6 cylinder cars have moved to Armstrongs.

Armstrongs have been installed in 4 cylinder cars but a bit more work is required over the relativly easy swap to an ENV.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000