Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2004
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6204 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2024 :  05:47:41  Show Profile
They don’t come much earlier than this!
https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/29333/lot/568/1932-mg-j2-tourer-project-chassis-no-j22004-engine-no-ry1214658p/

Simon J
J3437

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
714 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2024 :  09:23:24  Show Profile
What a fabulous example of how many of our Triple M cars were towards the end of their life during the 1960s. It seems very similar in this respect to the L Type that Paul Dudley acquired. You can see the many tribulations that this car has been through where bits have failed but the intrepid owners would have fitted second hand parts from breakers yards to keep it going. Many of these parts came from entirely different makes and models including the engine! These sorts of cars are becoming very rare now as so many of them have been restored to original and pristine condition. I sometimes wonder if I should have restored my M Type to its current condition which in the process lost much of its historical identity. What a conundrum this will be for the new owner.
Fascinating!
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6204 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2024 :  11:50:22  Show Profile
It’s always nice to be able to tie up loose ends. It was known that J2004 came to Victor Ltd (on 14 September 1932) while J4003 had gone to Jarvis of Wimbledon a couple of weeks earlier. (J2001 and J2002 had been the launch cars on 4 August at University Motors and Scottish Motor Traction respectively.) But there was no record of the registration number so good to have that confirmed. Unfortunately a sad, but not untypical tale: young chap buys his M.G. in the 1960s; life gets in the way so it becomes a retirement project; and he dies without seeing the job done.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000