Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Another picture from the 33 TT
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  14:01:42  Show Profile
Another M.G. photographed at the 1933 TT. Any info on it.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  19:57:29  Show Profile
Nice picture - the car is a J2?

The Registration number does not appear in the 2013 Register.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  21:53:00  Show Profile
Certainly Belfast registration, and is a J2.
There is a car agency named Isaac Agnew in Belfast, selling VW & Audi.
It's existed for many years...at least since I was a child!
Connection?

Brian
Go to Top of Page

John Moore

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  10:56:29  Show Profile
As I do not have easy access to the material I used to rely on, it may take a few weeks to get a definitive answer. However, CZ is a Belfast number of the early thirties and Issac Agnew is a Belfast car dealer but whether the J2 owner was related is a question to be answered. In the thirties Issac Agnew was the Citroen dealer, but that would not stop him getting an MG. Changing to VW after the war was his big break.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  12:10:12  Show Profile
Thanks, John. It's perhaps noteworthy that the J2 (it is a J2, chaps, isn't it?)has rather fine large headlights - 9" by the look of it - and of course the go faster accessories du jour - the leather bonnet strap and the aero screens. But the front valance looks a bit odd, doesn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  13:36:42  Show Profile
According to Mike Allison's files, J3412 (black/green when new) was supplied new to one T.B. Agnew from Whitehouse, Co. Antrim through Victor Ltd. on 5 July 1933. Its current registration is PP 7997 and its Register number is 2007. Could this be the car we're looking for here?

Another possibility would be J3108 (green/green when new) which is now in Sweden, but is known to have 'racing history'. It was originally supplied to one H. Wilson of Larne, Co. Antrim, also through Victor Ltd. It's original registration is not mentioned in the Register listing, but perhaps Robin has an old UK registration in his files?

Yet another car that went to Victor Ltd. for which no initial registration number is known, is J3199 (red/red when new). This one was supplied to one C. Love of Strabane, Co. Tyrone.

The fourth and I think last possibility is J3224 (grey/grey when new) which was supplied through Victor Ltd. to W.A. Bartlett of Irvingstown, Co. Fermanagh.

Looking at the colour of the car in the picture and the name of Agnew which the picture and the file for J3412 have in common, I would think it a safe bet to go with that one, but it would be nicer if we could have this confirmed by the current owner ...

I really should be getting on with the day job ...

Cheers,
Cat

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  14:27:04  Show Profile
Good stuff, Cat. My money would be on J3412 as the car in the photo looks very new. Even the tyres look new, well the one we can see does. And the headlights set close together which was introduced at chassis 3330 would suggest, but not prove, that the other cars are unlikely candidates. And since 3412 was sold to an Agnew, I'd say we are as good as there.

Unless of course, someone knows differently......?

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  15:36:07  Show Profile
I made enquiries with our vehicle licensing office in Northern Ireland and they tell me that CZ2800 is not on either the NI system or the GB one. Whether that means it could be reclaimed I do not know.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  15:59:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cathelijne

Another possibility would be J3108 (green/green when new) which is now in Sweden, but is known to have 'racing history'. It was originally supplied to one H. Wilson of Larne, Co. Antrim, also through Victor Ltd. It's original registration is not mentioned in the Register listing, but perhaps Robin has an old UK registration in his files?

That should have been its ...
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  18:34:11  Show Profile
Ah Cat; someone else who's getting fed up with misuse of the apostrophe, even if by yourself! It seems in the 21st Century that, if a word ends in "s", it's given one. I even saw this usage in a national advert the other day.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  22:19:29  Show Profile
In Dutch 's actually is the correct way to pluralise (is that even a word???) certain words: M.G.'s, pony's, foto's, auto's, etc.

Recently the Longman's Dictionary iPhone app had me think twice before purchasing when they advertised it as being perfect for learner's of English ...
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  14:44:58  Show Profile
"foto's"

arrgh !!!!!!

with or without the '

generul spellin on this forum is gettin worse
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  15:08:17  Show Profile
I'm sorry if my language offends you, Tony, but "foto's" is very much correct Dutch which is what I was trying to get across !
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  15:41:42  Show Profile
Cat, like most of your country men & women your English is quite superb & puts most of we natives to shame, not only in our abilities with our own language, but also in our being unable to emulate your skills in someone elses!

Given the Dutch use of the ' as Tony puts it, it's quite amazing that you never normally slip up, & when you do, not only do you yourself "red pen" it, but also you do so on probably the only case where the logic is a little more complicated.

Happy new year,

Dave

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000