Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Unidentified C Type
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  14:08:24  Show Profile
I've had this photograph for many years. It shows a C type in the 1930's at what looks like a hill climb or sprint race. I wonder if anyone can identify the car or the location? Many thanks, Ian.

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  14:19:16  Show Profile
Lewes Speed Trials, Sussex
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  14:22:16  Show Profile
Can't say anything other than the fact that he seems to have started the "use your mobile while driving" habit!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  17:05:36  Show Profile
JHT Smith C0261 MG1100.
Foz
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  18:10:21  Show Profile
Come on Foz, you can do better than this! Date and time also please!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  20:03:13  Show Profile
It is amazing how many photos are now coming to light, I hope the trend continues.

The lucky current owner of C0261 is Ross Kelley in Queensland who I am sure will be pleased to see the photo.

The car also took part in the Triple-M record breaking attempts at Millbrook in August 1994 - see 1994 Yearbook - when owned by Ken Rees. It had a light weight special body fitted for the occasion.

See also C0261 "C" is for Competition - "C" for change written by Ken Rees in the 1988/89 Yearbook.

George
L2023

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 03/01/2014 20:04:13
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  21:54:05  Show Profile
Trouble is that Smith is not known to have competed at Lewes nor is he mentioned in any of the entry lists. However, Nevil Lloyd is. While the car was owned by Smith, Lloyd used the car once at a BOC Speed Hill Climb at Joel Park and once at the K&SLCC Speed Trials at Lewes. The date for this Lewes event was 11 May 1935.

Here's Nevil Lloyd:

Is this the same bloke as the one in the passenger's seat?

Cheers,
Cat

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  10:08:38  Show Profile
I think that the folks in the car are neither J H T Smith, nor Nevil Lloyd. Nor is the venue Lewes, I am afraid. Lewes certainly doesn't have a "right and left" swerving track or approach road.
And what is the long board with writing on it ? Is it a bookmakers display ?

Could be Joel park, but I don't think I have ever seen any photographs of that venue.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  10:38:14  Show Profile
I have changed my mind ! I have checked with Len Goff's book "Magnette-ised" (page 21) and I now think that the driver could be John smith. The venue is still not Lewes however !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  10:51:23  Show Profile
Colin,photo of J4002 at Joel Park in past and present by Rivers Fletcher on page 72.I agree it doesnt look like Neville Lloyd, but fairly sure its Smith,Oliver. ps also a photo of a special on page 30 that looks same venue

Edited by - O.Thomas on 04/01/2014 10:52:15
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  11:32:33  Show Profile
Colin if you look at the photos in 'Speed on the Downs'-Lewes speed trials 1924-39, the chalked board on the telegraph pole appears the same in various pics as the above. May still be wrong ?
Cat, JHT Smith and N Lloyd competed at Lewes in an MG in 1935
Graham

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 04/01/2014 11:44:37
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2014 :  12:15:18  Show Profile
I agree with Colin in that it certainly doesn't look like Lewes.

I have a few pictures of Lloyd driving C0261 at the BOC Speed Hill Climb of 20 may 1933. This event was presumably held at Joel Park, but Colin says they were taken at Chalfont Heights, Chalfont St Peter.

Oliver, would you please check in my file for 1933 if this event was held at Joel Park or at Chalfont Heights? I know there's not an entry list in there, but I'm hoping there's a magazine report in the folder mentioning it?

Here's the picture Oliver mentioned (1935):

And the other one (1935) (not sure why it shows all crooked as it shows up fine on my computer):

And one of Lloyd at what I believed to be Joel Park, but of which Colin says it's Chalfont Heights (1933):

What do you say, Colin? I think the types of houses in the first two and in the last picture are about the same? Perhaps even like the original picture Ian posted?
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  10:31:35  Show Profile
All,

I have sent a copy of the photograph to Jeremy Wood, the author of the book on Lewes Speed Trials. He has confirmed that the photo is definitely taken at Lewes Speed Trials in the mid to late 1930's. Apparently the housing estate behind was not built until the mid 30's so it must be sometime after this date. He is now trying to pin point the exact event by using the information written on the blackboard and the name of the probable driver. I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Ian.
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  12:04:18  Show Profile
This forum is so great for so many reasons, but the humor that punctuates so many topics help make it entertaining as well as informative. I love Dave's comment re the mobile phone.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  15:07:14  Show Profile
Thanks Ian. :)

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 07/01/2014 15:07:36
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  11:10:43  Show Profile
Went over to Lewes on Sunday afternoon, with a copy of the start-line photo clutched in my hot little hand. I walked up to the same point where the start-line would have been, and I am thoroughty confused. The line of the hill in the background seems about right, but the lumps on the horizon would appears to be bushes, rather than the house roofs which I thought at first. The cars behind the grass bank the far side of the C Type, could well be on the return road, and the evidence of the chalk board (which I now realise is a list of car numbers and times - obvious really) is pretty conclusive. But there is no sign whatever of the "right and left" swerving track down in the dip, and I couldn't match up any of the houses shown in the photograph. The architecture is very similar, but I could not see the two quite prominent large houses on the photograph in the middle distance. I also drove round the Nevill Estate to see whethet I could find them, but could not. There did seem to be a lot more houses than are shown in the photograph, which suggests that the estate was only half built at the time, but I could not find the two large houses. I await Jeremy's further comments with great interest.

On the question of Joel Park versus Chalfont St Peter (Chalfont Heights), I am doing a bit more digging and delving and will come back to this subject in a few days time.

Colin B. (confused of Southwick)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000