Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 MG PA APP 186 - Information wanted.
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2014 :  14:10:19  Show Profile
Whilst my PA, APP 186, originally Marshall-supercharged, is reasonably well-documented from its completion on April 1934, but there is a gap in the record from c.1943, when 'in service' with the RAF, up until 1959 when trader G.K. Hadfield bought it from 'somewhere near Bristol', selling it on to Halfway Garage, Padworth.

Much research in the last ten years has failed to fill that gap.

Any information and any photographs from any period would be very welcome.

Bob. (See you on the MMM Register stand at Stoneleigh?)

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  11:12:56  Show Profile
Hi Bob

One person who was very involved in all matters MG in the Bristol area was the late Morgan Marshall. He was particularly known for trialling 18/80s but he did own an N 2 seater etc. Peter Jones now owns one of the 18/80s

There may be readers to this Forum who will be able to supply some info on which garage Morgan worked for.

Regards

George.
Go to Top of Page

David Griffiths

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  22:00:31  Show Profile
I think Morgan Marshall ran Imperial Motors in Whiteladies Road Bristol

David
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  04:09:44  Show Profile
Business started by his father I think.

Imperial Motors
103 Whiteladies Road
BRISTOL

(Garage entrance at rear in Hampton Lane)

Morgan was W. M. G. Marshall

Morgan was a man many of us were privileged to have known.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  09:30:23  Show Profile
A very welcome set of dates for APP 186 has come from forumist Deee Geee, who owned the car from 1960 - 1963 when it emerged from the hands of Dan Margulies.

I am now the fifteenth known owner.

That immediate post-war period, when so many MGs languished in sheds for want of petrol, is still a mystery.

Any more information for the History File will, of course, be appreciated.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

DeeeGeee

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2014 :  22:52:54  Show Profile
Whilst in my ownership it was resprayed from the original BRG with about twelve coats of Old English White. The engine was overhauled completely by Mascot Engineering
of Southall Middlesex at an enormous cost of around 40 quid !! if I remember rightly. Spares were like hen's teeth and Toulmin Motors and The Chequered Flag seem to have
been the only source in the early sixties. Otherwise scr@p yards were a source of Morris 8 bits that could sometimes fit. Happy Days !
Will post a pic taken then when I can find it.

DeeeGeee
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2014 :  10:10:54  Show Profile
Many thanks, Deee Geee.

APP 186 was black when bought by J.E. Rushbrooke and this was the colour when the RAF third owner was posted abroad c.1944. It is thought to have been sold by him 'in the late 40s'. There is then a gap in the record until the car, still supercharged, surfaced 'near Bristol' in 1959. By late '59 it was 'mid-green' and re-painted in 1960 in 'Sherwood Green'.

The supercharger had gone by the time that Dan Margulies sold the car. It returned to black when a superb rebuild to standard catalogue spec. was carried out by Michael Tietze around 1970, during which the last vestiges of the blower's equipment were removed.

A Marshall 75 installation is now with APP, but fitting it will be the next owner's task, sadly.

I am concentrating on detailing the history record, while it can still be found.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

DeeeGeee

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2014 :  10:24:01  Show Profile
Hi Bob
Enclosed a pic of APP 186 in its white livery.
DeeeGeee

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2014 :  13:07:20  Show Profile
Hi David

Firstly welcome to the Forum.

Your picture of APP186 looks very period - Bob is lucky to receive the photo of the PA and thus fill a gap in the history of the car.

George
Hon Sec
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000