Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Wartime MG P type
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tim Green

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2014 :  22:00:25  Show Profile
I think I may have sent this picture to the MMM register before but not actually entered it on to this forum.
The picture was given to me by an old friend John who served on medium bombers in WWII. It shows his wife with her brother and their parents on an outing sometime at the beginning of the war. Tragically the young man in the scene was killed soon after joining his squadron. His parents could not bear to part with his beloved MG and so gave it to their son in law, my friend John, to enjoy in order that it should stay in the family. John ran the car for as long as he was able on his meagre aircrew pay but finally had to give her up when funds ran out. He does not recall the ultimate fate of the car but I do know from previous inquiries that it is no longer on the road. Unless anyone out there knows better?

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2014 :  22:08:34  Show Profile
What a nostalgic picture. Unfortunately the Registration number is not listed in the 2013 printed Register.

I hope the car survives.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2014 :  22:41:07  Show Profile
Chassis number believed to be PA0424.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2014 :  11:34:09  Show Profile
Wartime blackout / vehicle light masking regulations were imposed from September 1st. 1939 - before the formal declaration of war - and were strictly monitored.

"Put that light out!'.

Is this, therefore, a pre-war, rather than war-time, photograph?

All surviving P-types are, in a sense, 'wartime' ones, though only a proportion were on the road during the war, most private cars in Britain being put away 'for the duration'.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2014 :  12:29:14  Show Profile
Although not MG, my 1938 Rover 10hp P2 ' Doctors Coupe 'was licenced for use during the war. The licence would have been under schedule " G " Defence of the Realm, this meant that the vehicle was being used for the purposes of His Majesty's Service in case of emergency. Also special tax disc permits were issued with ' WAR SERVICE ' in block letters overprinted. My car was owned by a doctor who was also an ARP MO..hence the licencing and no doubt petrol allocation. Attached are facsimile discs that I display on

my car.

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2014 :  13:50:06  Show Profile
This car was on the register at one point, register number 0018 so was a very early entry.

Last known owner was Roger Ward but no dates available sadly.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2014 :  13:57:43  Show Profile
Interesting...............

The photo in wartime paint of P603 / APP 186 (of which I have only a scan, the nephew of the wartime owner having 'lost' the originals) shows the shading of this type of tax disc. It was then 'in service' with the RAF.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6118 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2014 :  18:56:55  Show Profile
Presumably the blackout regulations only applied at night and since the photo was clearly taken during the day I don't think we can make any inference as to when it was taken. And since Tim Green has said that the photo dates from the beginning of the war I see no reason to challenge that.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Tim Green

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2014 :  19:47:45  Show Profile
Could well be prewar Bob, at any rate it was before the chap's sad demise which has always given it a 'wartime' connotation. Ver interesting that the car was once on the register. Can you tell me when that would have been Robin? and anything else about 'Roger Ward'
Many thanks,
Tim
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Stringfield

Wartime blackout / vehicle light masking regulations were imposed from September 1st. 1939 - before the formal declaration of war - and were strictly monitored.

"Put that light out!'.

Is this, therefore, a pre-war, rather than war-time, photograph?

All surviving P-types are, in a sense, 'wartime' ones, though only a proportion were on the road during the war, most private cars in Britain being put away 'for the duration'.

Bob.

Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2014 :  19:56:51  Show Profile
Thanks, Tim, for your comment.

Blackout regulations dictated that the few private vehicles on the road in the UK complied whether they were used at night or not.

They were gradually relaxed from 1944 on.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2014 :  22:45:15  Show Profile
Chris
If the stamp on your replica tax disc is supposed to be issued in Keighley, West Yorkshire, the spelling is wrong.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2014 :  12:24:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Stringfield

Thanks, Tim, for your comment.

Blackout regulations dictated that the few private vehicles on the road in the UK complied whether they were used at night or not.

They were gradually relaxed from 1944 on.

Bob.

There's also no sign of any white paint on the wings of either car which - while I don't think it was compulsory - was an often-used safety addition on cars which were being used at night.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2014 :  13:25:43  Show Profile
I have a pic of my car with the pilot who owned it from 1942 to 1946. I imagine you wouldn't bother taking pics after owning it for a few years, its when they are new (to you!) that you tend to do this. It has no wartime markings on it but the thought occurs that if you were taking a pic of your treasured motor you might want to remove anything that makes it less pretty!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2014 :  17:36:09  Show Profile
Julian Ever's book states that MG 3122 was chassis PA 0424 registered March 1934 and there is a reference to it in the Triple M yearbook 1982 and that it was "destroyed" by fire in the late 60s!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2014 :  00:32:41  Show Profile
Just for the record, this car was listed in the 1965 Register with "Present owner unknown" note and no reference to it catching fire.

However, by the time the Silver Jubilee issue was published in 1986 the notes say that "B.A.R. Dermott" was the last known owner and indeed in addition "Destroyed by fire".

Whether Robin has any record amongst the many ancient cards I handed on, of where this owner lived I don't know.

Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2014 :  09:48:03  Show Profile
Phone book records available on Ancestry show a BAR Dermott living in Henley between 1969 and 1972 and in Richmond-on-Thames from 1973 to 1975. Nothing after that though.

First name appears to be Brian, born in Surrey 1941, married a Linda J Hagen in Enfield 1973. I can't find a Linda J Hagen in any British records - looks like she may have been American or possibly Canadian.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000