Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Aspinall P type
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2014 :  11:23:33  Show Profile
I realise that the majority of people on this forum are British, but as there are some Aussies as well I thought it might be worth asking the question.....
Does anyone recognise this car? The photo was taken circa 1957 in Melbourne Victoria Australia. At this time the owner was a Leigh McGuire. I believe that the car may be either PA1291 or 1294. If the latter the registration would have been either HAU 301 or GNC 014.
The body is an Aspinall steel framed body and probably would have originally had cycle guards.

Regards,

Andrew

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2014 :  17:51:26  Show Profile
Hi Andrew,

Nice photo, I presume the other car is also an MG?

I note from the printed Register that you own PA1294 but 1291 is unfortunately not listed.

The Register lists the following PA chassis as being exported to Australia unassembled - 1293,1294,1296,1297,1298,1299 and 1300. I assume the chassis numbers for all of these are stamped on the near side dumb iron?

Regards

George
L2023

Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2014 :  00:04:45  Show Profile
Hi George,

I sent an email to Robin asking about chassis file information. Should I foreword it on to you?
Lane's motors were the official importers of MGs prewar into Australia. From their records we have PAs 1291-1300 consecutively being imported. Of these 5 went to Britannia Motors and were also most certainly bodied by Aspinall, the remainder went to various private owners, with PA 1292 going Les Murphy, a rather famous local racing driver. I believe that as many as 8 of this batch of cars may have originally worn Aspinall bodies. (Lanes imported 35 P types of which 25 still remain).
The car in the background is a TC.
I have the guarantee plate for PA 1291 .... it was on my car when I bought it ( and just to confuse the matter more, PA 1294 had been on the register since the 1970's as PA 1051!).George Morgan (K1, C type, J Type) has the dumb iron to PA1291 but nothing more is known to exist.

And yes... the number is on the nearside!

If anyone knows of PA 1292 the Aussie registrar would also be most interested!
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2014 :  00:33:37  Show Profile
For those that might be interested,

Here a a couple of surviving Aspinall MGs.
PA 595 (red) , PA 1294 (Black)

and NA 0281 (the door is a recent addition!)

Also a period photo of the Aspinall body of L 0658 which has unfortunately had this body replaced with a replica L2 body..... although the original still exists.

Go to Top of Page

IanG

Australia
72 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2014 :  11:03:24  Show Profile
Andrew.
I am not sure of your comment being correct where you say "The body is an Aspinall steel framed body and probably would have originally had cycle guards". My Aspinal bodied P had front & rear wings & running boards identical to what is in the photo. I had new cycle guards made & sold the swept wings. I cannot remember who bought them but someone in the MGCC Vic.
Ian
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2014 :  12:07:59  Show Profile
Hi Ian,

Nice to hear from you. You are quire correct. I was at Andrew B's last weekend photographing his Aspinall. It had doors and full guards from new by the look of it. From the historical photos it seems that many of they doorless cars had cycle guards initially then had full guards later. However there is almost no one around now to tell us the correct story. Certainly my car on stripping showed evidence of both. Maybe Aspinall made them to order or supplied both?

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

IanG

Australia
72 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2014 :  04:24:37  Show Profile
Andrew,
I thought I had some better photos of my car when it was a box of bits & showed the swept wings but this is all I could find.
Ian

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000