Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 J1 Pictures and others from Clive Evans
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  16:49:59  Show Profile
The son of the proud owner of the J1 in the picture has kindly shared these pictures of his father's car. The gentleman was a mechanic and not the first owner.

Chassis Number J.0322 Engine 945 AJ First Bought 22nd October 1932 by E.A.Thomas

Sam

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  17:25:39  Show Profile
Thanks for that Sam,
It fills in some specifically J1 details, like the front valance (a la D, not J2) and the triangular front wing splashers. Interesting too, is the hood envelope fixing, and what seems to be provision for a rear seat only tonneau.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  22:28:27  Show Profile

This has to be my favourite section in the forum - I find myself in awe of original, early pictures.

A photo of my own car turned up after many years of owning it as well as having been told by the first owner that he had 'lost' all his photos the during the war.
The photo turned out to be of it with its second owner - more history revealed.

I find it all quite fascinating

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  09:59:20  Show Profile
Love the wartime shots showing the blackout lighting and the white wing flashes.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  11:07:29  Show Profile
I like the detail - that tonneau covering for the hood frame will be of interest to those who own P type 4 seaters.

I used to own a PB 4 seater and would have copied the arrangement to tidy up the appearance of the rather bulky hood frame/hood.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2014 :  19:19:07  Show Profile
Sam, are you saying the bloke in the pictures is not the father of the man who supplied the pictures (Do we have a name?)? Or is it indeed him in the first picture (posing next to it) and does only the second picture show a mechanic in it?

I'm also presuming the photographs were taken at differnt times as the second picture doesn't show any war time trim.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2014 :  21:10:20  Show Profile
Cathelijne , the gentleman in both pictures is the father of Clive Evans who shared the photographs.

Clive Evans told me that his father (pictured) was involved in aero engineering during the war…"he was more into the engines of aircraft rather than flying them. He was also teaching this to cadets at the time. This much we do know, but he hardly ever talked to us about it. The other thing he left was the volumes of technical books he left on the subject. We had no use for them so I sold them about four years ago.."

When Clive Evans contacts me with further information or pictures I will update the story.

The first owner of this car was a Mr E.A. Thomas.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 27/12/2014 21:11:26
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2014 :  19:19:02  Show Profile
Thanks Sam, I interpreted your "The gentleman was a mechanic and not the first owner." completely incorrectly initially ! Got it now !
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  17:45:00  Show Profile
I was glancing through 'Seeking information about a picture' and was surprised to find it is close on a year since this thread started.

Clive has kindly shared some more pictures of his father's J1 and some others. The young lad in this photo is Clive himself.

Another- car -

And another - a Singer perhaps?

And another -

Clive tells me he was digging some foundations recently and unearthed a number plate TH 6159 - possibly from one of his father's MG's.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 07/11/2015 18:14:52
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  18:19:29  Show Profile
Sam, unfortunately that number is not recognised on the Register database.....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  19:48:00  Show Profile
Thanks John. Perhaps the number will turn up somewhere.

And here is another picture from Clive. Another fine looking MG.

Sam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000