Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Shelsley Walsh 9/6/34
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  09:00:10  Show Profile
Here is another rediscovery by Chris Lambert (Pre-War Minor Network) from the depths of the LAT archive.This one is simply described as "34 06 9 Shelsley Walsh MG LAT".

Once again, any information would be great.

Sam

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  09:08:31  Show Profile
It looks like a J3. The 12" brakes and, looking through the front wheel spokes, there appears to be a blower cowl and side panels. The headlights look very small and I seem to recall that J 3765 had small headlights at one stage, it also had 12" brakes from new build and was white, which this car looks to be.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1640 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  10:08:51  Show Profile
Robin yes 3765 was originally white and was supplied to Leslie Robson with 12 inch brakes. However over the winter of 33/34 he painted it red, panelled in the doors and converted it to J4 spec with an outside exhaust. So if this pic was taken in 34 it cannot be 3765. May be a blown J2

TH
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  10:32:54  Show Profile
According to the Shelsley Walsh records, this car was J3763 driven by K H Perry.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  10:41:20  Show Profile
Brilliant photo Sam and thanks for posting!

It is J3763 when owned by K.H.Perry and appears to be correctly identified as being 9 June 1934 at Shelsley when running as Car 13.
The headlights have been removed and the raised blower cover is believed to be the result of the PowerPlus giving up and a roots type blower being installed. The car was soon to sprout a J4 style outside exhaust which made operation of the passenger door difficult. This is Perry's first known event in the car and the spare wheel tread is perhaps a legacy from the first owner Castleton-Knight who had competed at the MCC Abingdon trial just over a month before this Shelsley meeting.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  13:15:05  Show Profile

Thanks Tim - all the credit must go to Chris Lambert for his painstaking research, and of course the fabulous LAT archive.

These pictures are examples which are not available on line but if you look at http://www.latphoto.co.uk/ you can gain an inkling of the magnitude of the LAT archive.

We are very privileged to be allowed to share them.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 08/04/2015 13:19:49
Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  10:47:01  Show Profile
Sorry for not referencing your post in my reply Colin, we must have both been writing at the same time!
Sam - as Colin has noted in a previous thread, Perry went on to have a busy summer in 1934:

"He appeared at Brooklands on the 7th July 1934 for the BARC Inter Club Meeting (the Stanley Cup Meeting), and he was part of the Junior Racing Drivers Team consisting of the J3, John Hutton Potts with unblown J3445 and John Hodge's streamlined 972cc Singer. The team came in 1st to win the Stanley Cup and a report appears in "Motor Sport" of August 1934 - pages 452 and 454. Perry's car was entered as being cream with black wheels.

At the same meeting, Perry drove the J3 in the third race (The Novices Handicap) over 2 laps of the Outer Circuit but he was not placed. He came out again in the fourth race (another Short Handicap over 2 laps) but again was unplaced. In a fit of crazed enthusiasm, he was out again in the eighth race (a Long Handicap over 3 laps of the OC) - unplaced. He then came out in the first Scratch Sprint Race over a 700 yard Sprint course (unplaced), and finally in the second Scratch Sprint Race, where he may well have come 3rd, but of this I am not entirely certain.

Two weeks later Perry and the J3 were out again, for the Light Car Club Relay Race on 21st July, when he was part of the JRDC number 2 Team entered by Louis Klemantaski, comprising the J3, plus W G C Hills J3582 and Hutton Potts J3445. The J3 was now described as coloured fawn. The Team finished 7th in a total time of 3 hours, 46 minutes and 15 seconds - a race speed of 72.09 mph.

Our enthusiastic racer next turned out on the 6th August 1934 for the BARC August Bank Holiday Meeting and in the Second race (The Esher Senior Short Handicap over 2 laps he was in amongst the fast boys - Gardner (K3), Bill Everitt (QA0251) and A R Samuel driving Robin Jackson's C0255. Everitt won from a 25 second handicap position, at a race speed of 104.47 mph, whilst Perry was unplaced despite having a handicap of 47 secs. A 25 second advantage over the Q Type - hmmmm. A bit too much to expect, I think. The J3 was described as "fawn with fawn wheels". He was out again in the fourth race, the First Esher Mountain Handicap over 5 laps of the Mountain Course which was won by Donald Letts in C0277 who was on Scratch compared with Perry's 14 seconds. Finally, Perry was out again in the tenth race, (The Third Esher Mountain Handicap) over 5 laps of the Mountain, where he was up against Everitt (QA0251), Kenneth Evans (QA0254) and Roy Eccles (K3027) all three cars on scratch, whilst Perry started 17 seconds in front of that lot !

I can't find his name appearing in any subsequent meetings at Brooklands, but Mike Hawke's notes state that he took 3rd place in the 850cc Sports Class at Shelsley Walsh on the 9th June 1934, and he also appeared at Donington on the 14th July 1934, and again at Shelsley on the 29th September 1934. What a busy chap he was."

Although busy, Perry only had J3763 for a short time as it was in Australia by Christmas 1934.
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  12:28:17  Show Profile
Hi All,

Please find attached some photos of J3763 competing in Australia where it is often referred to as a J4 in the newspaper reports. The larger brakes, outside exhaust, ENV cross tube box and larger supercharger contributed to this description.

The additional photos show where J3763 is today. Historic and Vintage Services in Melbourne repaired and riveted the original chassis and cut doors into the body tub. Not that they are of any use for the passenger.

With the help of some enthusiastic MG friends the car is being rebuilt as it was in the 1930's including to the dismay of some the quite distinctive supercharger cowl.

Thank you to all who have provided information to the forum on J3763.

Insert Image:

Insert Image:

ross
tight lines and corners
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
365 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  12:56:23  Show Profile
Hi Ross,
Interesting history and great little car. For interest , what make and size supercharger is fitted ?
Cheers,
Rod Green.

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  18:51:51  Show Profile
Hi Ross

Thanks for posting the pictures of the J3. That is some supercharger for 750cc 4 cylinder engine, what boost are you expecting to see?

I like the elaborate radiator mascot in the first picture - I wonder if it survived.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  15:42:00  Show Profile
Hi George - Don't know if the actual lady survived, but I did buy one from England a few years back that is the same - I'll try to get the info on it and a picture of her gracing the rad of my '21 Silver Ghost!

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

etaylor

Australia
27 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2015 :  08:22:04  Show Profile
Just to add my bit,(as another J3 owner). Yes Chris a fantastic photo and am intrigued by that amount of back padding being used. I rather think Mr Perry had shorter legs than even I.
Ed (J3762)
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2015 :  13:58:52  Show Profile
Hi All,
From photos taken of the car running in the 1930's and 40's we have decided to use a SIR (not a term used often in Australia unless your our Prime Minster) George Godfrey J100 Sc.
It is expected to run at 8-10lb, which should add more bang hopefully too suck, squeeze, bang, blow.
If it does not work, it will do doubt end in tears and recriminations with my friend Norm Goodall over whether it was driver error or his ability to rebuild MMM engines and I know who will be the loser of this arguement.
Attached few more photos from the 1930's, 1940's and one of the Sc cover.
best wishes
ross kelly

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2015 :  22:52:50  Show Profile
Hi Koke - I look forward to seeing a photo of your lady mascot, it probably looks more suitable on a Rolls rad?

Ross - I would anticipate a higher boost than 8 to 10 lbs from a J100 fitted to a 4 cylinder engine? I have a J100 fitted to my L2, it is run at slightly over engine speed and gives up to 12 lbs boost. The Oliver Richardson rebuilt engine gives an amazing and very smooth performance.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 13/04/2015 22:54:36
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2015 :  12:34:38  Show Profile
George, Oliver agrees with you that we should anticipate a higher boost and given advice on how to manage it. We should know in the next two months how it goes.

cheers
ross
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
365 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2015 :  13:14:26  Show Profile
Very interested to hear of your success, and boost figures.
Good luck,
Rod Green.

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000