Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 V5 to V5c
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2015 :  17:47:03  Show Profile
Has anyone put a car back on the road which was taken off prior to the new V5c regime? This would be around the late 1990s before the days of SORN etc. It is on a valid V5, which is in my name and an online search proves it to be known about by the DVLA. Do i need to fill in any extra forms or do I just send it in with the section for a change of taxation class to historic filled in? There is nothing on the DVLA website about this, only information about reclaiming old numbers or re-registering cars built from parts neither of which apply. It does say, however, that there is a fee for the issue of a V5c, but as I already have an original V5 I am unsure as to whether this applies to me. I am getting close to finally completing a protracted rebuild of a J2 (it is on the register) and would like to pre-empt any possible problems before perhaps being able to use the car next spring. Any experience would be useful before I step into the mire of government bureaucracy.

Regards
Ian Thomson

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2015 :  18:01:23  Show Profile
Ian

When my BGT V8 qu8alified as historic last year I simple filled in the part of the form V5c stating change of class top historic and the DVLA sent me a fresh V5.

Just for peace of mind I kept a photo of the document!

Goerge
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 23/10/2015 18:03:51
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2015 :  18:11:29  Show Profile
Thanks George, but if you reread my piece you will see that you have mixed up the V5 with the V5c. I have also changed the tax class of my BV8 by simply going to the post office and thus receiving a new V5c, but then I already had an up to date V5c and it proved to be quite simple to do. The J2, however, is on a V5(not the "c" version)and I am trying to head off any problems with this.

Regards
Ian
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2015 :  18:16:11  Show Profile
Ian,

Send your V5 to DVLA (but keep a copy as they seem to be very good at losing things, or claiming non-receipt even when letters have been addressed to named individuals). I now send items by Royal Mail 'Signed For' service - costs a couple of pounds but well worth it because you can check that it got there and was signed for.

Ask for a V5C to replace your V5 and at the same time notify change of taxation class to 'Historic Vehicle'. There shouldn't be a charge.

Regards, JOHN JAMES - DVLA rep. MG Octagon Car Club
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2015 :  09:37:07  Show Profile
Thank John. I will take a copy and bite the bullet.
Ian
Go to Top of Page

Peter Hall

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2015 :  09:41:16  Show Profile
During the 30 plus years my J2 was off the road I kept updating DVLA each time the log book types changed. As it returned to the road this year I was advised to do the update at the Post Office, with a form V112 (MOT Exempt) and Insurance certificate, showing the change of tax class on the V5C, it was very simple and my new V5C arrived a week or so later.
Peter
J4258
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2015 :  10:12:13  Show Profile
Peter,

Does that mean your car did not have to undergo any kind of technical inspection before becoming road legal again? I have always thought that my car, when finished, would need to be inspected before I could use it on the road. I suppose the MOT exemption has changed that.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Peter Hall

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2015 :  10:21:30  Show Profile
Hi Malcolm,
As I had kept the DVLA updated, the car was shown on the V5 as not taxed as opposed to SORN. All the numbers matched and it is in the original colour. It was just a case of changing the tax class.
I didn't have it inspected or examined nor was I requested to do so. I think that the fact that I had kept the log book/V5's up to date may have helped.
Peter
J4258
Go to Top of Page

Hamish McNinch

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  14:01:50  Show Profile
I had several 'old' V5's, including that for my modern road car. Originally I was told that they would be routinely replaced and that certainly happened for the 'modern'. After a few years I had heard nothing about those which were for untaxed vehicles in store. So I e-mailed the DVLA last year and asked them what the process for replacement was. They sent a most informative reply confirming that the original plan had been to issue automatic replacements but that this had caused problems because of the number of old V5s on the system on which change of address had not been made - they were getting a lot of mail returned. So then they changed to the 'on request' system. I sent mine, one at a time, back to the DVLA address they gave me (it's important to get the right postcodes with DVLA - they get so much mail that their individual departments have distinct postcodes - I believe using the wrong one is the surest way of having your mail lost or delayed) together with a polite covering letter and a copy of their e-mail. Despite them saying that I might have to wait several weeks, I had replacements within days. As with others, I was careful to take a copy of the V5 ' just in case' but I had no difficulties. They will also return the old V5 if you wish to keep it as part of the vehicle's history - you just have to tell them you'd like it returned.

All this was done for my 4 cars last year. But then In June this year I turned up one for my F -Type project which I had somehow overlooked. I couldn't find the original e-mail so rang the DVLA to ensure I had the correct postcode. Having explained what my inquiry was about, I was put through to the right department and the very helpful lady asked me to confirm some details from the V5, and some details about me, and then said that I had provided sufficient information to allow her to send me the replacement V5c without any further action from me. And it arrived 2 days later. Fantastic.

Dealing with DVLA can occasionally be frustrating and confusing, but they have an enormous task and I suspect have to deal with many 'ungracious' people. As I have said elsewhere, I have found them always willing to help if approached with politeness and with a bit of preparation (such as having original documentation to hand). Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  09:34:31  Show Profile
Thanks Hamish. As I haven't yet had the courage to embark on this I will try ringing them.
Ian
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2015 :  11:25:06  Show Profile
As an update to this to perhaps help others going down this route, it eventually turned out to be a reasonably painless exercise. I rang DVLA, as Hamish had done, and after a few questions, which must have been correctly answered, the change was made and a new V5C was sent within a fortnight - and I still have the "old" V5 for my archives. It was marked with a taxation class of "not licensed" so a trip to the post office on the same day sorted that out and another V5C was duly received with a taxation class of "historic Vehicle" - and it is "taxed" so all I need is insurance now.
Thanks for all your help
Ian
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  15:43:58  Show Profile
Ian
Can't be taxed without insurance!!
George
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  15:51:13  Show Profile
I did it...at the post office.
Ian
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  16:15:34  Show Profile
I did it a while ago as well with no insurance . Needed to tax a car to go to take a former employers car to his funeral so tried it on line and it worked ! Needless to say I drove it on my business insurance policy when I drove it so was covered .
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2536 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  16:53:42  Show Profile
In contrast I picked up my newly MOTed (new style) V8 from the garage and drove straight to the PO to tax.

"The car's not MOTed" "Oh yes it is; just had it done." Well it's not on the computer. She said I had a trustworthy face so she chanced her arm.

Apparently, although on the new system the garage prints off MOT information sent to it by the DVLA computer that computer, if interogated even after that event, may not immediately know what IT has done! You couldn't write the script could you?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  17:08:07  Show Profile
What really worries me is that the proof of all things car has moved from the paperwork held by the owner/user to a computer system/database which is clearly less than reliable. Even if I hold a valid document in my hand it carries little weight if the computer says NO.

Ian Thomson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000