Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 brake lever
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bob

United Kingdom
336 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2015 :  11:42:06  Show Profile
Does anybody have a spare offside rear brake lever for a P type?
(think it is the same as the offside front one)

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2015 :  07:03:51  Show Profile
Hi Bob, if you can provide a photo of the one you have and or a number from the item then I just may be able to match it up ... there are so many variants to choose from.

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

bob

United Kingdom
336 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2015 :  12:39:27  Show Profile
Hi Chris
The numbers seem to be rusted away and no digi camera at the moment.
Is anyone else able to provide Chris with the numbers stamped on the 12 inch brake lever?
Other option may be for me to send you a tracing?
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2015 :  18:04:33  Show Profile
I am sure someone will provide us with the details in due course, specifically for the 12" P-type drums. These aren't sided are they?

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2015 :  21:39:09  Show Profile
Hi Bob and Chris,

If you want a great deal of frustration one easy way is to get the brake cables, brake cams and brake levers mixed up on the 12" braked cars. To be able to adjust the brakes properly you must make sure that front and rear cables are not interchanged, that the brake cams go on the correct sides and so do the brake levers. Bob is right that the front and rear levers for the same sides are the same and interchangeable, but Chris is wrong in that the levers are handed and the near side and off side ones are different. These diferences are the bias of the lever with respect to the bore for the cam end but also, more subtly the angle of the slot for the key with respect to the centre line of the lever arm. The original part numbers were O/S MG 365/104 and N/S MG 365/103 for the levers. The cams were O/S MG 365/109 and N/S MG 365/107, differing in the angle of the keyway with respect to the cams themselves. To the best of my knowledge these part numbers do not appear on the parts themselves as the numbers on the parts seem to be forging type and batch numbers, because the subtle differences were introduced at the machining stage of their production.

My personal rule of thumb to avoid the frustration mentioned above is only to deal with one corner at a time, unless I have everything boxed and labelled absolutely separately.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page

bob

United Kingdom
336 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2015 :  11:32:59  Show Profile
Thanks Andrew.
The problem I have is I actually have all cables, cams and levers fitted correctly with the exception of the offside rear lever which is a nearside one. Hence as you say the bias or off set of the lever is the wrong way ie the clevis end of the cable is pushed away from the backplate instead of towards it.The effect of this is that the inner cable does not run in a straight line and so it tends to drag a bit when you release the brakes therefore holding this brake on when the others have released.Initially I thought it was just weak return springs on the shoes.If I can't find out the casting numbers from someone any thoughts on heating it up and bending it over?
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2015 :  15:31:09  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000