Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Vintage Rumbaken Oil Coils
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BobH

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2015 :  09:57:00  Show Profile
Useful information here about checking coil polarity:

http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/Coil%20Polarity.pdf
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2015 :  10:15:57  Show Profile
Good article which might provide the answer as to why some cars misfire occassionally...

"Why Polarity Matters
If your center electrode is positive, your car will probably still run fine until, with its 15% handicap, it exceeds the coil output. If you live where temperatures dip down to 0° you may not get your car started. Driving with a full load and accelerating hard up a hill may cause an ignition miss. If your ignition system is well worn to where you have various voltage losses, you could get a miss. Correct coil polarity won't eliminate these problems, just put them off by 15%."

Hope this helps

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3106 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2015 :  10:53:41  Show Profile
I hate to be negative but while these coils are very quaint PCB's are so thoroughly nasty they have been banned for over 30 years. Contact with PCB's offers a generous selection of nasty health hazards including cancer.

PCB oils do not burn like other oils, which is great for use in coils and transformers but challenging for safe disposal. PCB's do not readily break down in the environment and remain potentially deadly for generations. Your local Environmental Health people can help deal with these safely and the service is free.

If you can be certain your Runbaken coil will never get broken or leak or get opened up it is probably perfectly safe for you and your children and your grandchildren.

But is it really worth the risk?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

RAH59

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2015 :  14:17:49  Show Profile
Hi Sam

I appreciate PCB's present dangers, so do many other things associated with old cars, petrol, lubricating oil/ grease, questionable handling and brakes! We accept these risks in every day life and make choices to mitigate them, such choices need to be measured and accord with the applicable regulations.
We cannot say that these coils contain a PCB type oil, this manufacturer would appear to be low volume compared to the main stream and might not have followed this technology, I would be more concerned with the aluminium can types produced in the 10,000's for all car manufacturers over a number of decades and whilst these are generally sealed for life they do leak.
I was involved approx 10 years ago investigating the PCB legacy of a UK company with around 700 properties, we found all those with HV power transformers to contain PCB's, these were drained and the oil disposed of prior to refilling, this equipment is still regarded as contaminated and maintained as if it contained PCB oil, further when it reaches end of life it will be disposed of as if it still contained the contaminant. We also examined components in luminaries ranging from the 1950's to the 70's where we also anticipated finding PCB's, this was not the case and very little was identified. Notwithstanding the method of disposal was as if they were contaminated. Therefore we should not conclude that because the equipment was manufactured at a time when the use of PCB's was prevalent that it contains PCB's, we should however treat the equipment with respect and handle with suitable PPE and dispose of such PPE and or equipment in accordance with local legislation as if it were contaminated
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2015 :  16:12:31  Show Profile
The information from Moss on coil polarity is quite sound but it is explained in a slightly differnt way in an article:- mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm
One significant bit of additional information in relation to spark polarity is that it is far better to use a moving coil meter as distinct to the now more common digital ones. I have used both and digital is far inferior. I also used the pencil system but personally found this to be more difficult to get a clear determination of polarity.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000