Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Archway Engineering Revisited
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2015 :  04:19:41  Show Profile

I can't believe that it's 8 years ago that the late Mike Ellis
posted this inquiry regarding Archway Engineering.
It brought back fond memories for a lot of forum members, me being one.

Mike wrote in one of his postings, "I have had some interesting emails in regard to the demise of Archway Engineering from MMM owners who perhaps did not want to go public that they had been "skip skimming" for parts!" unquote.

The MMM owner happened to be me. Since then I have come across the article that I had been rummaging for on two continents. It was written by Peter Daniels and the Harry mentioned in the article was Harry Crutchley. Octagon Car Club President. I think it was in their 1972 Newsletter.

The link is to Mike's original posting.

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1542&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=archway

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2015 :  10:13:46  Show Profile
This brings back memories. Almost exactly 50 years ago I bought spares by mail order from Archway for my TC in Glasgow.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2015 :  14:03:09  Show Profile
Not Archway, but a similar vein and is the Terry mentioned Terry Bone?. I have an old catalogue circa 70's it must be: from T & B Bone, some small pictures show some lucky cars that might have made to present day, others show a lot of blocks/rads etc etc, and one sadly a lot of frames. I doubt if its like that now, o that it were.
Last time I saw such a collection of cars, mainly postwar but quite a few pre, it was near Witney about 15 years ago, I am sure quite a few people have seen these cars: your mention of Harry reminded me I sent details and pics to him, sadly he is gone as are my pics.
hope of interest.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  09:25:51  Show Profile
Reading the piece about Archway Engineering has prompted me to post this in a vain hope to trace MG 3880.

MG P type (chassis P1815, engine 2071AP, starter 56989, gearbox 585, Dynamo B41243, rear axle 1526) was delivered to Mr M J Emberson, Mayfair, in March 1935 later to be sold to RAF Pilot Officer Douglas Shepley who loaned the car to a fellow pilot who crashed into an unlit tramcar late at night. My grandfather brought the wreck in 1940 and my father rebuilt her on a new chassis with new wing, radiator etc. Father was posted aboard being a pilot in the Fleet Air Arm, I was born just after the War and spent many a happy hour in a carry cot tucked behind the seats. The P type was sold as the family grew, the next and last we know of her is via the register in early 70s owned by a Mr Cooper of Ongar.

Unfortunately both RAF pilots were killed, Douglas in his Spitfire on 11th August 1940 off the Isle of Wight. The Shepley family lost three children in the early months of the war and through their fund raising sponsored Spitfire W3649, in 1979 a new pub in Totley, Yorkshire near to the family home was named the ‘Shepley Spitfire’.

I would dearly love to find MG 3880 or locate parts that may have been used as transplants, if anybody has any leads I would be pleased to hear, I can be contacted direct at r.verrill@icloud.com.

Douglas with his Ariel

MG 3880 as owned by Douglas

1940 after rebuild at Bamburgh

With AJO 300, chassis now in Australia

As an aside P1733 looked very much like the images posted by mgmog when my father purchased her and started the rebuild I am hoping to complete back in 1972.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  17:24:25  Show Profile
Archway Engineering were,of course,not just pre-war MG dealers. In 1964/5 I had an MGA 1500 at University in Newcastle,but being a Manchester lad I got all my bits there from under the railway arch just off Liverpool Road at the bottom of Deansgate. I remember it was a bit gloomy with the counter stretching across the middle of the arch and a collection of MGs parked outside.
Big job at Christmas was replacing the clutch and I even invested in a workshop manual as then I had little idea what a clutch even looked like.The job was,however,successfully concluded and I kept the manual for many years long after a Mini Cooper replaced the A. There were a number of car shops in the area on Deansgate and Liverpool Road including an excellent engineering shop round the corner where I bought pistons,bearings etc. for many years afterwards.

David
J 3355
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000