Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Douglas Bader's MGs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

correlejco

United Kingdom
251 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2015 :  12:01:40  Show Profile
I’ve just re-read ‘Reach for the Sky’ – Douglas Bader’s biography - a good book and what an inspirational character.

Most of us are aware of Bader’s hair-raising exploits in his MG in pre-war days, but what was the actual car? There are several threads relating to the M type used in ‘Reach for the Sky’, but this may or may not be what he actually drove. Do we know what the car was and does it survive?

Furthermore, in the last pages of the book, when he was newly ‘demobbed’ we read:
It was on a Saturday after breakfast that he took off his uniform, dressed in civilian clothes, and drove away from North Weald towards Ascot in the M.G. (a saloon car this time, obtained during his captivity by Thelma, who liked fresh air but in controllable quantities).

So what was this pre-war saloon MG? SVW? I’m sure someone here knows.

John - 1934 NA0492 - AOE877

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2015 :  12:16:21  Show Profile
I believe he had a J2 and have seen photos of him with a TA. Would guess the saloon would be an SVW
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2015 :  13:21:25  Show Profile
According to the information spilling out from the Register's (about to be launched) electronic database, the first owner of J2296 was a certain D.R.S.Bader of Duxford, Cambridgeshire. This is undoubtedly 'our man' who, to give him his full name and honours was Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader, CBE, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar, FRAeS, DL

J2296 was registered on 01 November 1932 and according to the factory files was supplied by York, Ward & Rowlatt Ltd. although Mike Hawke's '75 Years of the J2 M.G.' suggests that Collier's Garage of Peterborough was the vendor - a sub-agent perhaps? YWR still exists, operating from Wellingborough in Northants.

Although he won a scholarship to St Edward's School, Oxford, Bader may have had some connection with Wellingborough Grammar School as he is mentioned in the School's Autumn magazine for 1966 as guest of honour at the school's prizegiving.

I don't know whether J2296 was one and the same car with which we have become accustomed to associating with him. Mike Hawke's book is certain on this: "Crashed very heavily more than once. Probably written off" ["He is thought to have owned an M-type earlier"]

All this adds up, because Bader joined the RAF in 1928, was commissioned two years later. His 'famous' crash at Woodley airfield occurred in December 1931 and he was back flying (albeit temporarily) in June 1932.

The film 'Reach for the Sky'may not be a definitive source, but here is a 'screen grab' from it:

It is also recorded that Bader owned a TA - chassis No. TA 1753 - this car was auctioned in August 2015.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2015 :  17:53:35  Show Profile
Here's an artist's impression of the TA:

Regards,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2015 :  20:17:36  Show Profile
Both the MGCC T Register's database and the Totally T-Type 2 database record the Douglas Bader TA (Chassis number TA1753) with the registration mark GPC 671, as 'SCRAPPED'.

JOHN JAMES www.ttypes.org
'Proud to be independent'.
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2015 :  21:13:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

It is also recorded that Bader owned a TA - chassis No. TA 1753 - this car was auctioned in August 2015.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Interesting!
Although a car bearing the registration number GPC 671 and described as TA 1753, was entered into the Bonhams Goodwood Revival Auction in September 2015, it appears not to have been sold as there is no reference to it on the Bonhams results website.
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22725/lot/352/

There was apparently a caveat to the original auction catalogue details;
“SALEROOM NOTICES
• Please note that we have been informed of another claimant to this car's identity. This claim is disputed by the current owner. A metallurgist report commissioned by the owner is available for inspection. Accordingly, Bonhams are unable to categorically verify this Lot's catalogued provenance.”
Perhaps this is the reason for non sale?
Keith

Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2015 :  16:34:20  Show Profile
Said car, as displayed in the Bonhams auction display at Goodwood Revival last September:

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2015 :  16:41:22  Show Profile

Try again.

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2015 :  18:42:39  Show Profile
This is one of the last known photographs of TA1753 (the MG TA first registered in Douglas Bader’s name as GPC 671 on 28th January 1938). The photo was taken in August 1967 at Vale Court in Colerne, Wiltshire. This property was once owned by Arnold Hagenbach, who made his fortune by developing the Arndale Centres with his friend, Sam Chippendale.

The car was later involved in an accident on the Upper Bristol Road in Bath when a Ford Cortina came out of a side turning and hit the MG amidships, extensively damaging it.

The body literally fell to bits and the chassis was badly damaged.

The car was dismantled by the owner (Richard Iles of Chippenham, Wiltshire) and several parts of the TA survive today with Richard, along with the continuation log book which shows Richard as the third owner in this book. There must be at least one more earlier continuation log book around since the one in Richard's possession starts with an entry for Alan Ivor Tucker of Bristol and date stamped 01.09.66, Michael Edward Leigh of Officers' Mess, RAF Rudloe Manor, Hawthorn. Wiltshire, date stamped 11.01.67, then Richard Iles, Chippenham, Wiltshire,19.07.67.

The chassis was ‘banana shaped’ and badly corroded at the back, due to the escape of acid from the two 6-volt batteries; it was actually held together at the back by pieces of ‘Dexion’. It was not considered worth saving and was hacksawed up into manageable pieces by Richard's brother, Timon Iles and taken to George Flower’s scrapyard in Chippenham, Wiltshire by Timon.

At that time it was not known that GPC 671 was the ex-Bader TA and this only became known when the original log book surfaced and came up for auction at Cheffins Auctioneers, Cambridge on 26th January 2006.

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  10:01:03  Show Profile
This reminds me that my first single lens reflex camera greatly reduced the number of times I photographed my thumb, or indeed the lens cap .

More seriously, this story looks like something the T Type Registrar needs to look into.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  10:21:02  Show Profile
Dear Forum:
This is a real"who dune it".
It has it all , MG car, WW2. flying ace, car crash, and dark doings with car history. The only thing missing is drugs and rock and roll.
If there is more I would like to know.
Can't wait.
Again thanks for a good thread.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6122 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  12:54:39  Show Profile
Luckily enough, these sorts of 'dark doings' with car histories never happen with Triple-M cars

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  14:05:27  Show Profile
Heavens no.

EX120 anyone?
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  14:07:38  Show Profile
Simon,

Of course not - perish the thought!

JOHN JAMES J3656, PB0722 (and TC0750).
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  14:28:58  Show Profile
I've got lots of bits with EX120 on them on the C type Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2015 :  15:15:26  Show Profile
You mean to tell me there was no sex and rock & roll in the MGs, I think I will stick with my Rovers, with that very comfy back seat...and the ankle straps !!??

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000