Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Ignition Coil and Clamp
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  17:09:17  Show Profile
Hello,

What are my options for a suitable supplier of an Ignition Coil and Clamp?

Are all available modern ignition coils from the various suppliers of the right size and terminal types?

Thanks
Paul.

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  20:51:21  Show Profile
Paul, I think I have an original brown coil. I will look it out tomorrow and test it.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6149 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  20:59:47  Show Profile
I'd have to say from bitter experience that the coils sold as classic items suitable for our cars are often far from reliable. In the end I went to my local motor factor and bought a modern Bosch coil with screw terminals (for a VW Beetle, needless to say!) and simply peeled off the Bosch label to reveal a basic aluminium casing.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  08:25:01  Show Profile
Maurice - thanks. Let me know what you find.
Did you get my email about the jig from a couple of weeks back?

Simon - I see the coils listed for the beetle have a lucar type connector screwed to a post, but did yours cater for a screw fitment for the HT lead? (I am assuming it should be screw rather than push in with a rubber boot)

Thanks
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6149 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  10:21:31  Show Profile
Paul,

Hoping the OP wouldn't notice I simply used a push in connector with a rubber boot for the HT lead rather than a screw in one as per the original Lucas. Frankly, I got fed up with having problems the poor quality 'classic' coils and since I have a Bosch 009 distributor with push in connectors anyway everything now matches!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  11:45:24  Show Profile
The Green Spark Plug man sells Bosch distributors similar to the one Simon describes:
http://www.gsparkplug.com/1x-0221119027-bosch-ignition-coil.html

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6149 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  12:15:58  Show Profile
That looks about right although my recollection is I paid rather less than that at GSF Autoparts.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2556 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  16:45:36  Show Profile
Peter, I see the pic says "Made in Brazil" and seem to remember reading somewhere that they are nowhere near as good as the genuine German made ones were. Not that I have any personal experience!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  17:04:42  Show Profile
Dave

I'm not an expert on sourcing but I do know that VW have had a production plant in Brazil for 62 years. The automotive industry is a global business and has been for some time. So following what is made where is very difficult. If the coil has a genuine Bosch label on it, it should be OK?

The Green Spark Plug man has a very good reputation and I would personally be happy to buy an ignition coil from him.

Peter

PS Simon I checked the GSF price which was £3 more.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  19:06:14  Show Profile
Equally I don't think any of the main vintage/classic electrical suppliers like Holden, Vintage Car Parts or SVC would risk their reputation by selling rubbish.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  20:57:01  Show Profile
Paul,
I didn't get your Email because I have changed my address to-blakey1936@outlook.com- I thought I had changed it on the forum but obviously not. Please contact me direct and I will send you the info and a photograph.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  18:01:01  Show Profile
So with the Bosch Coil and 009 distributor, it would be modern push on type leads throughout?

Could someone tell me the lengths of the five HT leads needed if using the Bosch options throughout? I'm afraid my engine is still away, so have no way to make a measurement.

I have also searched on here, and it appears that for spark plugs I should get: B5HS.........standard for JPL etc with lowish compression.
Is that right before I go get 8?

Thanks
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2016 :  19:43:56  Show Profile
Although I have just seen on the Vintage MG site that B6HS is for std MMM cars.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000