Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Needle Rollers 1/4" x 7/8"
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  20:49:31  Show Profile
I am looking for a set (23 off) of needle rollers 1/4" x 7/8" to fit the constant mesh gear in a PA gearbox. Does anyone have a set which they are prepared to sell?

Many thanks, Peter

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2015 :  20:58:18  Show Profile
Have bought these from S&V in the past
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2015 :  10:59:56  Show Profile
Ollie

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately S&V do not have any. I am still working on other potential sources.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2015 :  11:18:34  Show Profile
Peter, A few years ago I had several batches of these needle rollers made up for me by the people who regularly advertised in the VSCC Bulletin (or they did until the VSCC messed about with the system). I think they trade as The Old Bearing Company or something like that.

If you get really stuck, I will look for the receipt. I am sure that it is tucked away in one of the large piles of paper which comprises my filing system.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 19/12/2015 11:19:20
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2015 :  13:05:43  Show Profile
Colin

Thanks for your reply. It is The Vintage Bearing Company and they are preparing a quote for me right now. I noted that they made some for you, when reading a previous discussion on this forum. I would be interested to know what they charged you, if it is not too difficult to find the invoice.But don't go to a lot of trouble.

Regards, Peter

Edited by - Peter Scott on 19/12/2015 13:07:39
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3680 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2015 :  21:41:26  Show Profile
Peter

Perhaps a little free enterprise might be in order here - might anyone else need a set of these? Just thinking of possible economies of scale!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  08:25:06  Show Profile
I have not yet ventured into my gearbox.

Are these needle rollers something that usually needs replacing, or should be replaced when doing a rebuild?

I may be interested in a set if it comes to increasing quantities.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  08:51:42  Show Profile
Paul

See this link for the story:
http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7057&SearchTerms=mangle

Dick

If I get a reasonable quote from the Vintage Bearing Company, then a batch of 100 would do four boxes. However it would be useful to know how many forumists are interested in a set.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  11:15:38  Show Profile
Peter, I chose the right mound of paper straightaway ! Yes, it was The Vintage Bearing Company at Hatton, Derby. The cost of 100 off was £120 including VAT, and that was in 2003. The cost gave me a severe twitch in the sphincter at the time, but viewed twelve years later does not seem too bad. What rather bugged me was that they are such a simple bit of kit - just 1/4" rod cut to length. The diameter must be precision ground, but I would have thought that accuracy of the length would not be highly critical. I know that one of our Members (who just happens to own the last remaining 1935 Three Musketeer Trials car) made a couple of sets up on his lathe and I think it took him hours and hours and hours to do. Cost that out at £60 an hour, and it makes the price of £120 sound even better.

Pauly, These straight 1/4" x 7/8ths needle rollers are fitted into the sliding constant mesh gear mounted on the layshaft train at the bottom of the Wolseley gearbox. Dear old Mr Blower in his wisdom suggests that they should not be touched as the constant mesh gears - which have to be pulled off with a suitable puller, have to have a run-out of less than .0015" on assembly. I reckoned that as the poor little things had been rolling around in the bottom of the gearbox sludge for 80 years, they were entitled to be a bit worn, and were a likely cause of the "spin-dryer rumble" which many people complain about. I know that several of our Members thought likewise, and I don't think that any of us have experienced much difficulty in replacing them and reassembling everything in a satisfactory manner. I would have no qualms about doing the job again. Simply take care to get the constant mesh gear back on the same splines that it came off in the first place. And use minimum force and maximum delicacy in everything that you do.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 20/12/2015 11:19:51
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  13:23:04  Show Profile
I am about to venture into one of my gearboxes and would be interested in at least one set.
Go to Top of Page

Drolshagen

Germany
675 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  13:43:13  Show Profile
Hi Peter,
Simpley Bearings stock 1/4 x 1 Inch needles, easy cut to 7/8 Inch.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Loose-Balls-&-Rollers-Loose-Steel-Rollers/c23_5043/index.html

not cheap - GBP 30 plus VAT for ten needles???????

Carl
J2 4362
L2 2036
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  14:11:55  Show Profile
Carl

Until recently Simply Bearings were offering the 1" needle rollers on ebay at a much more reasonable price. But now it states that the item has been withdrawn as the item is no longer available. So I'm not sure whether they have any or not. I have not enquired because even if they do have them in stock, the cost for 30 rollers is £108 delivered. I am hoping that Vintage Bearings will come up with a better deal.

But thanks for your posting.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2015 :  15:22:42  Show Profile
Colin

Thanks for the price information. The RPI has gone up by 40% since 2003. So if The Vintage Bearing Co prices have followed suit that would be £170 for 100 rollers. Still not bad especially if there are other customers.

Thanks also for your thoughts on doing the job, which are similar to those expressed by John Reid.

Peter

Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2015 :  01:00:17  Show Profile
Colin, not quite sure where you got the idea that the sets of rollers I made were done on the lathe and that it took hours and hours!

Quite the opposite - they are hardened to about 65HRC, so it was a simple and speedy grinding job which took less than an hour to convert 23 of the 1" rollers to 7/8" using a jig. I have done several sets including the one in Aramis' completed gearbox. See the link which Peter posted for the full story. Replacing these rollers is not difficult, but it is essential to use quality circling pliers - Knipex in my case.

Incidentally, it is possible to machine 65HRC using special cutters - about 15 years ago we made some F1 Mercedes rockers by cnc milling from an already hardened blank. Air cooling required and 40,000rpm spindle speed. This was part of a research programme in which we were working with the manufacturer of the cutting inserts. The benefit of doing the heat treatment first rather than last removes the risk of distortion of the finished part. I wonder if I spoke nicely to Mercedes they would do a job on a few rollers for one of their pensioners!?

John R
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2015 :  11:29:52  Show Profile
I telephoned Simply bearings this morning to question the availability of the 1/4" x 1" rollers and the price. On their own site they were priced at £36 for 10 . Yet they were priced at £10 for 10 on their ebay shop. However their ebay ad stated that the product was no longer available. After investigation they tell me that the ebay price was the correct one and they have plenty in stock.

So that is an acceptable source if I have to buy the 1" rollers and wind up the bench grinder. But I am waiting for the quote from The Vintage Bearing Co for 7/8" rollers before I make a decision.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2015 :  11:37:32  Show Profile
So, John. At £60 per hour, for 23 rollers it cost you £60 in labour costs alone, to which must be added the cost of the 1" rollers ! It still makes my way of doing it, i.e. a cheque for £120 to The Old Bearing Company for a nice little box of 100 rollers seem good. And I didn't even wear my pen out.

All joking apart, if I had your skills and equipment I can say without hesitation that I would do the job your way.

All the best to you for Christmas and the New Year, and it is good to know that you still read all this rubbish that some of us write.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000