Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Restoration vrs Conservation
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2016 :  20:31:58  Show Profile
I had mentioned my entry in a classic car competition.

The Ellerslie Intermarque Concours was held yesterday and I'm pleased to advise I won the 'Survivor Class' for original cars with the MG Car Club (Auckland) Centre. Cars are required to be at least 35 years old. The survivor class has been run for 3 years here, wondered if this class is used elsewhere. I am especially pleased too as this class promotes conservation of our cars and their history.

This was the first concours my MG has ever won. The midget MG beat off the big banger Fords, and GM Holdens, and others.

Discussions on the forum helped too, thank you.

I included all the collection of accessories and documents, you can see the original Pe-War MG Parts Centre parts book, and owner's manual and parts book also bought from Barry some years ago that helped get me started. JH, the story board header has your post on original cars. Having documents back to the MMM factory archives are fantastic, too. Thanks to all.

Further story to follow, as have been invited for a feature article in NZ's leading classic car magazine, NZ Classic Car.

Photo I think below catches the moment.

Fittingly, the event was held on Valentines Day, with theme 'The love of Cars'

Regards
Donald
PB0759
New Zealand

Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2016 :  10:14:26  Show Profile
Donald, Lovely and congratulations. I really like the extra effort to make your project more interesting rather than just a ' display ' piece. A display board to me is always an added attraction, especially if backed up with early photos, restoration and history updates make for more than just static item.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2016 :  23:01:17  Show Profile
Thanks Chris
The feedback I got was that the display and presentation were appreciated and scored well.
Agree, history and display boards make a big difference and can bring together the history and story on the car.
The board for this display has two sides, as shown below. One for the specification and written history, the other historical documentation and a photographic history. Included the cover sheet from the bottom end rebuild blueprint. Block actually is new although have kept the the original.
Most of the preparation for the competition was cleaning compacted grime off the car and chassis, doweling and splicing bits of wood in the original body frame, and refitting the interior Once the chassis was cleaned, I lightly sprayed clear acrylic lacquer rather than repaint it. This is a conservation method I discovered mainly used on artworks.

Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2016 :  07:49:02  Show Profile
Thankyou for sharing Donald. I like the idea of the double sides, I will try that for my project.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000