Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Seeking history of MG PA.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  22:40:40  Show Profile
I am trying to find details of the early life of PA 0530 and any subsequent information which might be available to assist in its restoration.

Records at Abingdon show that chassis PA 0530 was completed on 21/3/34, together with its engine no. 782AP, and exported in unassembled form by Morris Export Industries. Unfortunately the export destination was not recorded.

Triple-M cars were exported to US and Australia, and in small numbers to certain other countries.

Subsequent to its export, PA 0530 returned to UK, at least 40 years ago, and is now incomplete but its chassis identity is clear.

In an endeavour to trace the history of this car, I would greatly welcome any relevant information or photographs that would help in leading to creation of a picture of its life and eventual restoration.

In hope,
Powerplus.

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  02:31:51  Show Profile
Hi Alan,

In the 1930's Lanes Motors of Melbourne were the official importers of MG (unassembled) they were then sent to Britannia Motors who had them Bodied (usually by CFS Aspinall & Sons). We have the so called "Lane's List" of cars that were imported and PA 0530 does not appear on it. However, a small number of cars were imported directly into Sydney and Adelaide so it might still be an ex-Aussie car. I will chases up some old versions of the register to see if it appears on any of them. Do you know when it returned to the UK and what sort of body it had?

Warmest reagards,

Andrew

PA 1294
NA 0279
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  10:12:35  Show Profile
Hi Ian,

There is no record of PA 530 on the Australian register in 1979 (one of the earliest published).
I also note that it is not on my copy of the MMM register (2012)

regards,

Andrew

Edited by - Andrew Fock on 11/01/2016 10:13:28
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  10:20:09  Show Profile
Andrew,

When you refer to cars arriving in Lanes Motors unassembled, were they literally what we'd know in later years as CKD (Completely Knocked Down) or were they simply in rolling chassis form for which Aspinall built the bodies?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  14:27:23  Show Profile
Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your reply and your assistance in searching the records for PA 530 - much appreciated

As a point of clarification I used the word 'unassembled' to embrace your imports both as 'chassis only' and ' kits of parts for assembly as a complete car'.

Please let me know if any information on PA 530 turns up.

Alan
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  21:02:58  Show Profile
Hi Simon,

As far as I'm aware, the cars that came to Australia were as a complete chassis, with instruments, bonnet and lights included but not on.... so not quite how the MGAs and MGBs were sent over (they were complete with all parts but partially assembled). However , I think they were referred to as CKD. Interestingly, the P types that were sent over this way have the chassis number stamped on the nearside dumb iron rather than the offside so it must have been known that they were to be exported on the assembly line.

Some cars received bodies to local design while others (such as NA 0677) received a copy of the standard factory body. A very few cars such as NA 0279 were imported complete for special customers.

Andrew

NA 0279
PA1294
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  21:29:22  Show Profile
Thanks, Andrew. Were the engines and gearboxes installed when they left Abingdon? When TFs were exported CKD to Ireland for assembly by Booth Brothers the engines were apparently shipped quite separately and thus the engine number couldn't be stamped on the guarantee plate until an engine had actually been selected and installed. What happened with the guarantee plates for the Triple-M cars?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  01:00:46  Show Profile
Hi Simon,

We believe that they were full rolling chassis with engines, firewalls and radiators. The guarantee plates appear to be stamped at the factory and we have engine numbers assigned for each chassis.

The attached photo shows the guarantee plate for PA1291 which is 'missing' although the dumb iron recently turned up. The plate was mounted on the firewall that came with PA1294...... which appeared on the register as PA1051!

regards

Andrew

Insert Image:
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  09:34:35  Show Profile
Hi Andrew,

That's very interesting as what you describe is what one would ordinarily take to mean a 'chassis only' export, i.e. completely assembled apart from a body. This is very different to post war CKD practice where they really were Completely Knocked Down. Terminology is everything!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  15:00:30  Show Profile
I can confirm that although I haven't checked every car, on those I have looked at both CKD and chassis only cars have an engine number allocated,

Triple M Registrar

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  15:43:39  Show Profile
Graham,

Was the term CKD used in factory documents in the 30s, and if so, can its use be distinguished from the use of the term chassis only?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  05:03:05  Show Profile
Don't know if this is relevant or not, but PA 0531 is owned by Bob Grunau in Toronto.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  12:01:26  Show Profile
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your response.

Having seen PA 0531 listed in the Triple-M Register, I contacted Bob, thinking that P0530 and PA 0531 may have been exported to US together. However, Bob's car was exported to US some years after initial ownership in UK.

As yet, we have been unable to establish the country to which PA 0530 was originally exported, so any clues are very welcome.

Alan.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  15:20:02  Show Profile
Just to clarify, PA0531, UK plate BME384, was imported into TORONTO, Ontario, CANADA in Sept, 1974 and has been in the Toronto area ever since. We are not part of the USA.
Bob, Canada

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  17:26:40  Show Profile
From the chassis files I have seen at MGCC, there is only mention of cars being exported, often noted as being delivered to Morris Industries Export, Perhaps the term CKD was introduced post-war i.e. such as the TFs as noted by Simon.

Interestingly the chassis number on the cars exported to Australia was usually stamped on the near side knuckle as shown in Andrew's photo.

Bob - the door line on the P type looks non standard, some Triple-M cars with pre-war competition were modified in this way including 2 L2s. Something to do with easier access to the steering wheel?

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 13/01/2016 17:29:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000