Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Looking to a MG MMM PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

searunner

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  11:49:21  Show Profile
I am new from MMM forum
But not from veterans cars-in my garage I have a MG TD and one completely restored fro me Austin Healey 100/6-
HELP is NEEDED
Some year ago one of my friends acquired one J2 in UK
I have appreciate a lot the line of this car and in particular the mechanics, I am one estimator of top engineering on cars.
I follow from a lot of time the MMM site -falling in love for
the SIX cylinder engine, but all this cars was over my budget.
I have find recently one PA -the conditions are poor,price high
body was restored but bubbles of rust appear on wings -evidently the work wasn't good and new paint is required -chassis condition unknown-
automatic oily system is not present - brakes MOD to hydraulic
and the engine and gearbox aren't the original- it appear to me as a Midget 1098 engine
But the radiator and the body-dash-firewall with all the accessory
coil, pump, regulator,wheels and tires appear original including
the spare rear wheel, head lamp and turn signals
ONLY the lateral turn signals aren't present (is this one anomalia ?-I have see some PA without trafficators)
tag in the engine bay is PA 0870
Is this car know in the register ? and have one history ?javascript:insertsmilie('')
My intention, if I obtain a fair price, is to restore chassis and
body - and waiting a lucky break to find a engine and appropriate gearbox
Comments and guidance welcome

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  13:32:23  Show Profile
The Register of 2013 shows PA0870 as owned by Alan White, Ex 4-seater.

Jan Widung
PB0635
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  14:42:31  Show Profile
Andrea
Welcome to the forum. The first thing to do is to confirm the chassis number. This was stamped on the front of the chassis, on the driver's side on the front of the part that has the bolt that holds the front of the driver's side road spring. You might have to remove the cover (known as the apron) that is in front of the radiator. Photograph it if you can. The brass plate with the number may or may not be correct for that car. In any event, please send the picture of the chassis number to Dick Morbey (who is also our chairman), he is looking after the register for the P-types, his email address is on the "Contacts" page.
An original engine and gearbox will be VERY expensive if you can find one and you can expect to spend a great deal of money overhauling it. Dynamos and starters are also hard to find.
Any and all questions you may have will be answered by someone on this forum, we are all here to help.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  15:03:38  Show Profile
Surely if the price is 'high' and it has a non-original engine & gearbox it would be best to walk away from this one?

Go to Top of Page

searunner

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  01:23:06  Show Profile
Thanks for replies
especially to Jan for the info, I argue that car is modified-actually it appear as a two seats
Hi Nik
My first preoccupation was to ask for the engraved chassis number,
the seller confirmed that it are present and correspond to the tag number and to the V5C registration, but no photos was sent to me.
I know the difficulty to find a engine overhauled
same for the gearbox - Tanks a lot for your advice-My nature was
too many optimist.
etlanpaConsidered that alien engine/gearbox and car was declared driver
My proposal was for GBP14K but was refused by the seller
I attempt to joint a photo - take care that from the others in my possession- this appear to be shot year ago

Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  03:17:51  Show Profile

An interesting photo, Andrea.
Would you know the chassis number of this car? Are you the owner?

Unusual to see the Arabic plates. I recall Chris Nowlan In New Hampshire
owning J2 J4169 which still carried its Moroccan plates which were issued from new.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  07:39:40  Show Profile
I guess that, in all this, there is one caveat: don't pass over any money until you have seen and checked out the car, pay no deposit, pay nothing other than directly into the hands of the car's owner!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  07:39:47  Show Profile
Out of interest, what is the asking price?

I'm no expert on P types, but the wheel rims & headlamps don't look right to me...

Go to Top of Page

searunner

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  08:33:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Kelly

An interesting photo, Andrea.
Would you know the chassis number of this car? Are you the owner?
Unusual to see the Arabic plates.
Brian.

Hi Brian
Chassis PA0870 assumed, no photo of chassis or tag from the seller
No Arabian plates probably photoshop effect
to incentive the discussion I post one more photo of the engine bay

Go to Top of Page

searunner

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  08:39:53  Show Profile
quote:
[i don't pass over any money until you have seen and checked out the car, pay no deposit, pay nothing other than directly into the hands of the car's owner!
Ian Bowers

Fair and RIGHT suggestion
Go to Top of Page

searunner

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  08:47:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by etlanpa

Out of interest, what is the asking price?
I'm no expert on P types, but the wheel rims & headlamps don't look right to me...

Headlamps appear strange also at me, I will investigate on the wheel
rim

Go to Top of Page

Rainier

Netherlands
160 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  09:25:14  Show Profile
Hi Andrea, welcome to the forum. I am no expert, but recently acquired a P-type myself, so here are my two cents. The side lights don't seem to be the octagonal ones, but it is hard to see on these pictures. Same goes for the brake drums not being original, they don't seem to be the 12" drums used for P-types. Also the supports underneath the headlamps are not original. They should be straight and not slightly curved. They appear to be TA. The radiator is not original, besides a lot of other stuff I see missing from the engine bay.

I would suggest to take a good look at some other PA's before seeing this one for comparison!

Rainier
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  09:45:27  Show Profile
I agree with all the above comments. The headlamps look like sealed beam conversions, popular in the 60s, I think. The bracket across the back of the radiator is missing, as is the petrol reserve tap (a piece of kit I personally am happy to do without, but more expense if you want originality). Centre laced wheels (should be side laced) and hydraulic brakes (master cylinder can be seen). It should definitely have trafficators, something again I'm happy to do without. In my opinion it could be a fun car as it stands, but bringing back to original would be a lot of work and expense. Three or four years ago I was the underbidder on eBay on a similar J2 with Triumph Spitfire engine. It sold for £10,500.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

searunner

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  11:36:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin McLachlan
I was the underbidder on eBay on a similar J2 with Triumph Spitfire engine. It sold for £10,500.
Colin
Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

I agree with you the right price of this car was 10K 1k+/-
I post one other photo to complete the panorama

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  13:04:44  Show Profile
Hello Andrea

If this car is indeed PA0870 then we know that it was a University Motors demonstrator car, originally a 4-seater but converted to a 2-seater body some years ago.

We have contact details for the presently listed owner and although I suspect that he sold the car some time ago I will make contact with him to see what additional information he may be able to provide.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

PS
(The car does not currently have a Triple-M Register number.)

Edited by - DickMorbey on 12/01/2016 13:09:35
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  13:56:25  Show Profile
Andrea
Are all the instruments present and correct for the car. This is another expensive area to replace if needed. Is the rear axle correct? From what I can see you could expect to spend 15000-20000 GBP if you want to return this car to its original state (assuming you do not want to return it to a four seater!)

Nick
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000