Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Looking to a MG MMM PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  14:59:07  Show Profile
In the side elevation the running boards look wrong. Not only is their top surface flat rather than concave, which is a common failing of repros, but also the rear ends, which should be staight, at 90 dgrees to the car centre line, appear to be wrapped around the rear wings.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  16:47:04  Show Profile
It looks as if there are a lot of T Type bits: headlamps, headlamp supports and centre laced wheels: and BMC Morris Minor bits, engine, gearbox, starter switch, fuel pump...

I am not sure about the bodywork:
running boards too straight?
spare wheel too vertical?
bonnet is it missing its rear louvres or doesn't the P have them...
body line slopes too much and the seats are wrong...
radiator support rods?
has the radiator got a honeycomb core?
is the fire wall seal correct?

Definitely need to see the car and with someone who knows them...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  18:12:05  Show Profile
The top tank on the radiator definitely doesn't look like P-Type.

Edited by - pauly45 on 12/01/2016 18:21:47
Go to Top of Page

rodamos

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  00:46:02  Show Profile
This car was up for auction in June 2015. See http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2015-06-06/cars/ref-77-1934-mg-pa.aspx?p=14 The estimate seems very high so that may account for it appearing not to have sold.
Go to Top of Page

searunner

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  09:06:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Feakes

Andrea
Are all the instruments present and correct for the car. This is another expensive area to replace if needed. Is the rear axle correct? From what I can see you could expect to spend 15000-20000 GBP if you want to return this car to its original state (assuming you do not want to return it to a four seater!)
Nick

Not all are present - only the fundamentals -lights is loss

Go to Top of Page

searunner

Italy
24 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  09:44:25  Show Profile

This car was up for auction in June 2015. See http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2015-06-06/cars/ref-77-1934-mg-pa.aspx?p=14 The estimate seems very high so that may account for it appearing not to have sold.
[/quote]
Thanks a lot for the help, for all your suitable observations.
sure the car is the same to the auctioned
the edge of the wheels appear not to be original
body is badly thought out -
additionally the wrong engine- gearbox-seat-headlamps
Your suggestion have convinced me to keep at distance from this car
As Nick said a lot of money must be waste on this project for a car that never can be returned to the origins

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  09:51:40  Show Profile
The wing nuts for the sidescreens are definitely not P Type; appear T Type to me. The octagonal panel looks to be completely flat whereas I always thought it should be slightly domed to match the rev counter glass. In the same area and without going out to the cold garage to check, I have a feeling the oil press & ammeter are too small? I seem to recall there's not much more than a 1/4 inch between them?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  10:09:06  Show Profile
And shouldn't the dash be burr walnut?

However, it is a car, has an identity will probably be fun to drive etc, all you need is the right price.

In my book, once a car is too smart you you just want to look at it and not drive it!

Question is... what is the right price. oh and how does it drive? If everything is slack then it has to be even lower.

But someone has spent time getting this car to where it is and if he had little to start with he has done a good job, and if he has done a good job it might even drive well.

Mind you, the MMM engines and boxes are rather special but this BMC combo wasn't bad... same as the post war midget...

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 13/01/2016 10:17:55
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2016 :  10:26:05  Show Profile
Andrea, I have been in touch with a previous owner of the car. He confirms that it is equipped with a B MC powertrain from the 1198 engine right through to the back axle. It also has TC hydraulic brakes.

He sold the car in March last year to a UK buyer who put it up for auction as others have mentioned, where it failed to achieve the reserve price.

I will contact you off-line with some more information that has come to me regarding this car

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000