Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 "Demonstration cars"
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2016 :  08:07:08  Show Profile
Any information re demonstration cars?
My car J2625 was built 09-11-1932, delivered to Morris Garages 22-11-1932 then sold 22-11-1932.
As you can see from the photo from the factory file it states "above demonstration car"
Clearly if a demonstration car it was only one for a short space of time, would this be the norm if a purchaser would want a car quickly? Is there any info known with regard to waiting times for new car deliveries?

Thanks Ashlwy

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2016 :  10:25:04  Show Profile
Looking at the card I would guess the car was used as a demonstrator by Stour Garage. The fact that the car sold quickly would I think support this view, an early potential owner could have been tempted to buy the car having driven it first.

L2010 was also a demonstrator car, the difference is that the records show the MG Car Co Ltd as the first owner and the car has a JB number. Clearly this car was a factory demonstrator.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2016 :  13:56:20  Show Profile
George it's a thought but I think unlikely. The Stour Garage sold Motor Cycles, and A R. Taylor was trialing the car almost immediately, the first record of this being 1st class award 18-2-33 Sunbac Colmore Trophy Trial. Some of the cars trials history on page 60 of 75 years of the J2 by Mike Hawke. So I can still only assume it was a demonstrator car at Abingdon.
A R Taylor was very much involved with Velocettes and BSA Goldstars for racing and google searches bring up much information but I know nothing of Motor. Cycles.
So the question still there re demonstrator cars and waiting time for car deliveries.

Thanks,
Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2016 :  16:27:39  Show Profile

Hi Ashley.

Perhaps you are already aware of this photo.
Just in case.

http://motoringpicturelibrary.com/Images?item=20202&order_by=2012-P-889.jpg&unique_name=Images&location_id=5&filter=A+R.+Taylor

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2016 :  16:53:59  Show Profile
Mr F tourer, F1344, was also an MG demonstration car with reg no RX. RX and JB were Berkshire numbers where Abingdon then resided.

This J has the reg no WD so was registered somewhere else... Warwickshire perhaps?

But the car was prepared as a demo car... dis the Factory prepare them to a higher spec to withstand the rigours demo cars would experience?

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2016 :  17:25:54  Show Profile
Brian, yes I am aware of the photo, thank you.
Peter, yes WD is Warwickshire, The Stour Garage was in Shipston On Stour, Warwickshire. So if the car was a demonstrator at Abingdon is was never registered there. Maybe demonstrator cars were driven on trade plates??
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2016 :  06:12:03  Show Profile

What is the UK understanding of the term, "demonstrator?" That word has crept into records describing J3752's history.

J.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2016 :  10:21:10  Show Profile
I would personally doubt the works would prepare any car for use as a demonstrator and have it registered in the county where the dealer resides. Apart from anything else MG would not have wanted to finance the cost of supplying demonstrator cars to dealers.

I think it far more likely the dealer would, as they still do today, pay for cars taken into stock, register one and put it on the road for potential customers to test drive the car. The guarantee card would show demonstrator for the factory records in case any warranty claim was made whilst the car was used for that purpose. The factory would then transfer any balance of the warranty period to the person buying the car from the garage. I have seen this type of correspondence on one of the L2s where the factory agreed to such a transfer.

The note on the top of the factory card states the necessary certificate of guarantee and manual will be sent to the purchaser,in this instance Mr Taylor, Stour Garage, once the completed card is returned to the factory.

John - the word demonstrator covers a car which a dealer registers for the road and allows potential customers to test drive it on the public roads.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 17/01/2016 10:38:29
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2016 :  12:28:59  Show Profile
An aside...

There is stuff in the F1344chassis file about repairs needed during the car's career as a Demonstrator at Abingdon.

J3485 was in the hands of CS Grant in Glasgow for 6 months. It is thought he used it for trials (though I can find no proof...) but when it was sold in Feb 34 MG refused to do any work under guarantee so it would appear they knew something about the car's life during that 6 months. It might have been used as a demonstrator but I don't actually think so as it was not registered for road use till it was sold.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2016 :  13:49:00  Show Profile
Also K3's were used as "Demonstrators", but when I asked Ralph Davis in 1984, he confessed, that it was basically to get the 100 Pounds discount !
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2016 :  11:01:55  Show Profile
Having worked at an Austin Morris MG Wolseley Riley distributor in London nearly 50 years ago now. Just because something was ordered as demonstrator status does not mean it necessarily ever ended up being used as such. As above they attracted bonuses and could be extra to allocation when supply was very short.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2016 :  21:51:05  Show Profile

Thank you, gents, for the clarification. George's definition of "demonstrator" applies in the USA as well. Gerhard and Richard offer a unique scenario for use of the term—one more consistent with J3752's known history.

During the 1930s, some manufacturers awarded cars to successful racing drivers in lieu of money. Is it known whether MG did this? Would this practice have labeled the car a "demonstrator?"

John.
J3752
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000