Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG NA no. 0669 History
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2016 :  12:14:45  Show Profile
Hi to All,

I have recently unearthed a bit of history of my NA , and wonder if anyone can help me decipher the data I have. I shall attach a few documents received from MGCC ( thanks John ).

( they don't seem to want to load...).

Nevertheless :

25/2/1935. Main Agent. M-I-Cowley

March 20th. 1935.

This car is fitted with the following non standard items :

Bonnet Strap
Fort Dunlop tyres
Battery with Ebonite Seperators
Special Copper oval gilled tube radiator.

18-7-1935.

University Motors in Mayfair corresponded ( presented a labour claim ) with MG and they referred their claim as. " Charge XD. - demonstrator "

NA 0669 was known to be in South Africa in the early 'Fifties owned at that time by Basil Beale from Durban , Natal . Basil raced an ERA.

In other documentation , NA 0699 was claimed to have had a "JB ---- " UK registration number prior to coming to SA.

Can someone please explain the relationship between The MGCCo. , M-I.E Cowley , and University Motors ?

Also , what does " XD - demonstrator " signify. ?

Can I determine the original JB. registration number ?

What was the purpose of the non standard equipment fitted ? A buyers whim ?

Kind regards,

Rod.

Rod Green

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2016 :  12:41:54  Show Profile
Hi Rod, I can only comment on the non standard equipment, the rest I will leave to those who know.

Having now researched J4129, it would appear that it was common to fit non original items to those cars that were used for competition, probably because original fittings may not have been strong enough, or streamlined, efficient or maybe just did not have the ' go faster ' look, I have so many non original MG parts in my ' boxes of bits ' that its been interesting finding out what was original and what wasn't. ( Even down to a couple of carbide bicycle/motorcycle lamps that had been adapted into electric rear lamps ). Good Luck

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2016 :  13:20:33  Show Profile
Thanks, Chris.

This part is as much fun as the actual rebuild.
Rod.

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2016 :  20:50:29  Show Profile
Rod, the records I have show that the car was exported to NZ from new. If the chassis files suggest otherwise, it may have been used as a demonstrator first! The JB number could have been used at this time, but I believe such numbers may be used on several cars - there is no record of which. I don't know what XD means - but MIE is Morris Industries Export, who obviously dealt with foreign sales.

The buyer presumably requested the extras.

Triple M Registrar

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2016 :  18:52:09  Show Profile
Thanks, Graham,

Can someone put me in touch with the Kiwi MMM registra, or historian. ?

Thanks,

Rod.

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2016 :  21:19:55  Show Profile
A JB number plate would imply that the car was registered in Abingdon and possibly by the Factory. For instance JB854 was the Works Demonstrator K1.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000