Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type Dynamo
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2004 :  17:21:26  Show Profile
Sounds like a daft question but are there any problems running dynamo without any output connections?

Minorist

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2004 :  22:28:04  Show Profile
You'll probably struggle to charge the battery unless you're driving around the with a long extension lead!

More seriously, I don't think that there are. Remembering my physics A-level, a current is induced in a wire when there is relative motion between the wire and a line of magnetic flux. I think I'm right in saying that the lines of flux in these types of dynamos are provided thanks to an electro-magnet (the stator windings).

However, for a current to actually flow, there has to be a complete circuit. If the terminals aren't connected, there's no complete circuit, so no current flows. Perfectly safe, as far as I can reason.

Besides, I've been running without my dynamo wired up for 500 miles and it all tests out fine (long story...)

I hope this helps (and it's correct!)

Paul
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2004 :  17:49:30  Show Profile
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your confirmation. I am close to running the engine after rebuild and wanted to turn it all over off the battery without anything else connected up.

regars

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Minorist

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2004 :  21:51:11  Show Profile
Tom,

Great stuff! I don't mean to sound patronising, but you must ensure that the oilways are primed before starting it up. I normally do this by removing the sparkplugs and carnking it by hand until oil comes from the tap for the dashboard gauge. Then I close this tap off and crank it a whole load more. You can't be too careful!

Best of luck and let us all know how it goes

Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000