Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 L-Type Auction.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  02:42:21  Show Profile

Weird.

I've been following with slight interest the RM Sotheby auction in Arizona this evening. Lot 119 an L-type was listed.

The PreWarCar website (where I first found the auction link) earlier in the day had posted "Too Late. This car has been sold or no longer on the market". Withdrawn?

I phoned RM three hours before the start of the auction and they confirmed that the car was in fact still up for auction.??

I note via live streaming that the car has just sold. $99,000. Plus a hefty commission to RM. I wonder if there was some sort of skulduggery being rumored?.............

http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/ad189043.html

http://www.rmsothebys.com/az16/arizona/lots/1933-mg-l-type-magna-sports-roadster/1078470

Brian.

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  08:01:03  Show Profile
A Rover pal of mine got 'stung ' using an advert on this same site. A very nice Rover 14 was advertised for sale, my friend paid a good deposit and asked me to go with him to collect in Cornwall. When we arrived at the given address, there was just an empty shed, it was a scam and he lost his deposit. He got too carried away and made silly errors. The Police are aware, but so far nothing has come of it. The Police did say that the advert originated in Wales.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  08:17:19  Show Profile
Well at ~69K someone got themselves a pretty good deal (assuming it did actually sell!)...

Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  08:50:17  Show Profile
Shame about the hood profile, should have read the forum ! but yes a really nice little car

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 29/01/2016 08:50:49
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  10:58:48  Show Profile
Yes, nul points for the hood!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2016 :  16:46:02  Show Profile

I took the opportunity to write to PreWarCar website asking why this posting was withdrawn.

Here's the reply from the Editorial section.

"Hello Brian,

I can understand your concerns but the problem was made by someone from RM.

They put a lot of cars on our website and when they do, they can put an end date on the advert (after that moment the advert will be automatically listed as sold). Unfortunately they didn’t put it on the right moment and that’s why the advert was closed too soon.

Hope this explanation is satisfied for you. Like I said, we try to make it as correct as possible but we cannot control actions from other parties.

Kind regards,

Laurens Klein. "

If that is the case and I was the seller then I'd be asking RM to reduce their commission drastically. It fell short of their lower estimate expectations. I think they quoted $120,000 - @150,000.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2016 :  10:20:18  Show Profile
The car is chassis number L0317 which is known to the Register - it has Register number 2471.

The record shows the car is an L1 with body type 4 seat tourer, colour green, engine number 576AL and first Registered AKL287 on 5th December 1933. The car has travelled widely having been in both Australia and Japan. It would appear it was re-bodied as a 2 seater in about 1963. The record also states the original frost damaged engine was sold and a F**d engine fitted. The car was subsequently advertised as a PA and at one stage was bought by a person who wanted it for his two sons to play with in the garden!!

George
L2023
sub-Registrar F/L/N types.

Edited by - George Eagle on 31/01/2016 10:25:37
Go to Top of Page

nuglut

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  15:39:26  Show Profile
Hello all, new member here and I am the one who purchased this car.
I am about to rebuild the carbs and all else seems pretty good on the car.
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  16:12:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nuglut

Hello all, new member here and I am the one who purchased this car.
I am about to rebuild the carbs and all else seems pretty good on the car.

Hello and congratulations on your new purchase

D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  16:29:44  Show Profile
And, "NUGLUT" has just joined the NAMMMR, so I now have that car registered with the NAMMMR along with its new owner.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  17:06:37  Show Profile
Hello Antoine

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase of the L1, I am sure you will enjoy the car.

You might not be aware we have a Yearbook and also a bi-monthly Bulletin, the subscription form for the latter can be downloaded from the Documents section of this web site.

I am also able to supply a Triple-M car badge engraved with the Register number of the car. Again the application form can be down loaded from this we site.

I note Lew has a record of your details - could you please also email me your details? I am the sub-Registrar for the F/L/N models and will update the Register to show you as the new owner.

Best regards

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 27/04/2016 17:09:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000