Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Seeking history of MG PB 0635 - ED9646
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  15:36:51  Show Profile
I am trying to find more history for my car and have been lucky enough to get photos taken by the first owner in 1936 - 1940. I also have a continuation V5 showing names of owners back to January 1959. When I bought ED9646 from Barry Bones in 1992 it had twin spare wheels (trials history?), was blue and had a Bonora quick-release cap on the radiator.

Maybe someone has seen photos of the car in their photo albums and know something about it?
2 photos from 1930's:
/Users/janwidung/Desktop/Yttre UH1_0002.jpg,
/Users/janwidung/Desktop/Yttre UH1_0003.jpg.
And this is how it looked when I bought it:
/Users/janwidung/Desktop/IMG0001.tif,
/Users/janwidung/Desktop/IMG0002.tif,
/Users/janwidung/Desktop/IMG.tif,

Earlier owners:
Malcolm David Richards, 1959, Brian John Heritage, 1959, Michael Robin Ellwood 1960,
David John Nobbs 1960, Raymond Mowis 1962 all from Leicester.
Anthony Broadhurst 1962, John Vivan Comfort 1963, Michael Henry Dowell 1963 - 1982 both from Leicestershire
and finally Mr Mears 1982 - 1992?

I would much appreciate any help to fin out more about the history. Any good advice how to search for competition history in trials?
Hoping that the pictures show up as they should...

Jan Widung PB 0635

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  15:43:01  Show Profile
They didn't - so another try:

First two photos on board - will try again!
Jan Widung
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  16:39:49  Show Profile
Lovely pictures, Jan!

Do you know the name of the first owner? If you do, you'd do well to start your search for any possible trials he/she entered in Donald Cowbourne's excellent book British Trials Drivers, Their Cars & Awards, 1929-1939. In case you don't have a copy, my first suggestion would be to try and get one because it really is fabulous research material, but failing that, I'd be happy to go through it for you if you have the owner's name that is!

Looking forward to the other pictures!

Regards,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  18:05:26  Show Profile
The Chassis file states the first owner as T.S. Steele of Warrington, Lancashire.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  18:36:22  Show Profile
Amazingly Mr Steel was Tom. S. Steel - at least according to the Register records! Graham Arrondelle has the PB files so may be able to cast some more light on him or anyone else who had the car before Jan?

Interesting, the car was first registered as ED 9646 but later as PNG 711. Jan, is that a Swedish reg?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  19:47:57  Show Profile
I like the Lucas FT 37 Pass Light, a very sensible addition to the front lighting array.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  00:20:40  Show Profile

Jan.

The registration records for "ED" Warrington, are held
at;

Chester Records Office.
Duke Street.
Chester. CH1 1RL.

http://www.ancestor-search.info/CRO-Cheshire.htm

The vehicle registration books are available to the public.
They would copy the info for you and perhaps email it to you.

Good luck.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  04:16:56  Show Profile

Jan.

Here's a sample of the Registration Logs that Cheshire records hold.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  10:28:46  Show Profile
I feel guilty that I did not write more about the first owner as it has caused extra work for you. My only excuse is that I thought my topic was too long as it was...

First owner was as you write correctly Thomas S. Steel Jr. Warrington, Leicester who kept the car until 1940 - date unknown - when he "replaced it with an open 2+2 MG". I was incredibly lucky as his son Adrian who discovered the photos above after his father's death and very generously contacted Mr. Terry Harrison who transferred them to me via Bob Clare. Adrian are I in regular e-mail contact since then. I have obtained the Guarantee Card and the factory records for the car, showing the original extras, manufacturing dates etc.

Cathelijne: Congratulations to the Yearbooks you have been editing! I buy the each year. I would be very grateful if you could at your convenience have a look in the trials book for me?

Dick: Yes, it is a Swedish reg. number and I will be participating in a regularity event called "Jakriborg Prix" for the 3:rd year in May. Great "historic racing"event that last year drew over 2000 spectators, so I am fully enjoying the car!

Chris: Unfortunately the Lucas FT37 pass light was no longer with the car when I bought it in 1992.

Brian: I will contact the Chester office - another miracle is needed as I don't know exactly what date the car was sold!

Many thanks to you all! Now another try at the photos which failed before as they were not in jpeg format!

Note the string between the doors!
Jan Widung
PB0635
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  16:55:39  Show Profile
Jan, build date 10th December 1935, release date 9th January 1936, first registered 10th January...

I'll look at the files and add further info if there is any...

Regards,
Graham

ps just been down to the dungeons at Arrondelle Towers and confirm that the only info I have is that provided by yourself. I presume you have a copy of the car's chassis file? I only have a very abbreviated summary.

G.

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 04/02/2016 17:05:24
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  19:47:31  Show Profile
Yes, Chris, thanks to the Club, I have received copies of the papers that Mike Allison saved from scrapping: Manufacturing records, Despatch note with body no and a note specifying extra equipment.

A curious thing was that there was a service letter to a Mr E.J. Lennie, 38 Cluny Drive, Edinburgh, dated 7 August 1936 ( only 6 months after that Mr Steel bought PB/0635 new). The answering letter is about how much he could safely raise the compression.
Adrian is certain that the car was not sold by his father until 1940!

An explanation might be that the copy is quite dark and the chassis and engine figures are slightly difficult to read.
Maybe it would be worthwhile to look at the first owner of PB/0619 or PB/0638 as the engine number could be read as either 854APB or 834APB. If so the letter should be in one of those car's file instead.

Thanks for your help!
Jan

Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  21:14:46  Show Profile
Mr EJ Lennie bought PB 0638, so there is your answer (one of them any way!)

Before anyone asks, it doesn't seem to have survived!

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 04/02/2016 21:17:30
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2016 :  09:26:49  Show Profile
I love the "period accessory" door safety mechanism .

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  15:49:14  Show Profile
Hi Jan,

Apologies for the delay, but I've now had a minute to go through Donald Cowbourne's book in search for Mr Steel. I'm afraid he's not in it though, so you can safely say he did not do any of the following trials during his ownership:

MCC Land's End Trial
MCC Edinburgh Trial
MCC Exeter Trial
MCC Sporting Trial
MCC July Rally/Trial
MCC London-Gloucester Trial
B&HMC Brighton-Beer Trial
SUNBAC Colmore Trial
Edinburgh & DMC Scottish Six Days Trial
International Alpine Trial

Sorry !

Regards,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2016 :  02:39:20  Show Profile
Hi Cathjeline,

Many thanks for your effort - on top of all other excellent work you do as editor of the yearbook! I knew it was a long shot, but thanks again!

Best regards
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2016 :  15:34:24  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: