Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Eric 'Winkle' Brown
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2016 :  14:09:17  Show Profile
Some of you may remember the thread a while back about Eric 'Winkle' Brown, a pilot with quite an extraordinary career. His story was discussed here after I saw a program about him on BBC2

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8260&whichpage=1

Well, sadly Eric passed away yesterday. An obituary (one amongst many that can be found with the aid of Google) can be found here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854

a remarkable man...

R.I.P.

So many dynamos

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2016 :  17:28:17  Show Profile

Remarkable man indeed, Orstin. That generation of flyers keeps in touch, regardless of what had once been painted on their wings. Here's last night's note from Jorg Czypionka to some of the survivors. Jorg was a Luftwaffe flight instructor through most of the war, but was sent into combat when defense became the first order.

To all of you , the sad message : " Winkle" died today, at age 97. He was the outstanding pilot, fearless, but when he flew an aircraft always concentrated and aware of the character of the aircraft and the task. This is the secret of his success, and his Guardian Angel.

We became good friends, many years after I had met him at the war's end, when I handed him over one of the Me 262's i flew. My last flight in this aircraft, and his first

R.I.P

Jorg

JB
J3752
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2016 :  19:54:14  Show Profile
Also sadly, the car depicted in the referenced posting (registration number SS3746) does not appear to have survived .....

The L1 (L0419) that took part on the July 2014 event in honour of 'Winkle' was provided by Don Smith who, after a Herculean effort, reassembled his engine in time to drive to the event. That must be a memory worth savouring!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 22/02/2016 20:00:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000